How did you lose your mucus plug? Kind of gross sorry...

Hi everyone. I am 38 weeks and 3 days. I am on constant look out for my mucus plug or bloody show. For all of you who have already been pregnant, how do you lose it? I am not trying to be gross, i'm just curious. Does it come out in the toilet, or in your underwear? Sorry for being graphic.. Also, how soon after you lost it did labor start..or did you even lose it before labor started? I want to know all this because i am over 38 weeks and i swear i have no signs of labor whatsoever, i am wondering if it will ever happen...

Stefania512

Asked by Stefania512 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i guess my first sign that labor was on it's way WAS losing my mucus plug. i was about 40w3days i think. i had some yellowy gunk in my undies, and on my TP. then i went a few days with no signs of labor again, then when i was 40w6days, i was crampy all night, then my water broke the next morning and active labor began within a couple hours.

soooo at 38 weeks, i certainly had no signs that i would be having a baby in 3 weeks, but it happened anyway :)

good luck
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Mine came out when I went to the restroom. I wiped and it was on the toilet paper, a big glob of pink/yellowish mucus. It came out throughout the day. But that wasn't a sign of labor for me. I lost my mucus plug at 37 weeks and didn't have my son until 40 weeks 5 days. My doctor stripped my membranes to send me into labor. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I did not lose my plug prior to my 37 week induction with baby #1. Baby #2, I started losing it at 31 weeks. It comes out in the underware, in the bath, while wiping... its a pretty constant thing from the point you start losing it to the point of labor. With baby #3, I started losing it at 28 weeks and same thing... it was constant til I had him at 37 weeks. There is no connection between losing your plug and going into labor. You start losing your plug when you start to dilate. People can be undilated prior to labor and others can dilate early (like me at 28 weeks)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• funny was the day after xmas, i woke up(as u no u wake up alot unconterable) i went pee and came bac to bed and it started to leak but i had such a abd preg i thought i pee'd myself a lil.. bc it was just itty bitty drops, i went bac to bed and here i wake up a hr later and my underwear where kinda with a awakword slush almost. i call my sister and tell her how it was the 2nd time. shes like UR IN LABOR! haha. i didnt feel my contractions by the time i got to the hositpal i even walkd myself up and they where stunnd
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i'm on my third pregnancy and have yet had a plug come out. my water has also never broken on it's own. I've had a mucous discharge present throught this pregnancy, was told that it's my plug forming.

i don't htink the plug is very important.

if you feel like you have to poop REALLY REALLY BAD and it hurts so bad you don't htink you can make it to the bathroom... and that happens all night long.... you're probably in labor. don't have your baby in the toilet.

if baby is breach you may feel a neverending pain in your gut and back. and breath stealing pain. it may be difficult to drive yourself to the hospital because it hurts all the way up to your shoulders and lower back... a never ending pain... you're probably in labor. get out of the car and call someone to come get you and take you... even if you have to pay for the ambulance.

rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 12:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I had my membranes stripped, so I think the Dr took mine out then...
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• rucafox... what you described as the baby being breech is really the baby facing the wrong way. A breech baby wouldnt hurt any more than a baby that was head down. Its when the baby is spine to spine with you that the back labor becomes a problem (the baby should be facing towards your back)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2010