Doggy schedules?

How big/old are your dogs and what are their feeding/walking schedules like? My 18 month old lab mix eats whenever she wants and goes potty 2x a day. But I'm told that a feeding schedule is the first step to potty training my 3 month old lab mix. So how often do you feed/walk?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pets

• We only feed 2x's per day - once in the am and once at our dinner time. They go out twice in the morning before I leave for work, then the puppy is let out every 1/2 hour in the evening. I also walk all 3 of them after dinner time.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• we feed two times a day and our dogs have bowel movements within 15 minutes of eating. They are all adults 3+ yrs
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Getting them on a schedule is the best way to help housebreak. I have 3 dogs. My oldest dog is 7 years old and 50 pounds (pit bull). The second dog is 5 years old and 80 pounds(flat-coat retriever/lab mix). The third is a 6 month old pup that is about 30 pounds. All three of them eat twice a day. Leaving the food down can actually cause dogs to become picky eats and in a lot of case to become overweight. We walk the dogs twice a day but I take my biggest dog running with my bike mid day. I also take them to the dog park several times a week. Tehy also have a fenced back yard though.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My dog eats 2x per day and is let out to do her business after each meal. Walks are at random times and more for exercise and activity than eliminating.

Puppies under 6 mo of age should be fed 3x per day. For potty training pups should get taken out after eating, playing, and sleeping as well as before bed. They should be crated when you are unable to keep an eye on them (crates should only be big enough to stand turn around and lay down).

Scheduled and MEASURED feeding provides many benefits like weight regulation, stabilizing eliminations (house training), keeping you as alpha (as controller of food), keeping you aware of any changes in appetite (excessive or deficient), and keeping the value of food higher for training purposes when used as a treat.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 2:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My dogs can help themselves to food whenever they want. Ideally, you should be taking them out approx. 20 minutes after eating. Talk to them like children & use commands or phrases when letting them out, like "Let's go out & go potty." This will help you & your dog communicate.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I have a 4 yr old Sheltie, a 2 yr old Sheltie, and an 11.5 wk old Belgian Malinois. They all eat 2x per day (6am, 6pm). The big dogs go out every 3 hours during the day and since we have a fenced-in yard, I just let them stay out for about 10-20 at a time. The puppy goes out every hour unless she is sleeping, plus goes out as soon as she wakes up and about 10 minutes after she eats (she lets me know when she needs to go out in between those times). I also take all the dogs out to play in the yard whenever the kids and I go outside (for about an hour, a couple times/day). The puppy gets walked everyday, but my younger Sheltie doesn't get walked because of all the loose dogs in our neighborhood...they try to attack him and he tries to get at them, too. The other Sheltie gets walked once or twice/wk. She is calm on the leash so it is easier to deal with the loose dogs (I just carry a stick so they don't really bother her).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2010