Sleeping without swaddling

I'm working with dd on getting her to sleep without being swaddled. She thrashes around soo much and keeps herself awake. If I rock her to sleep without her behing swaddled as soon as I put her down she falls asleep. So for four nights I put her in her crib swaddled and awake and let her put herself to sleep. (she's getting too big for her blankets and kicks out of them thats why I want to stop). Last night I just laid her in her crib, half asleep and unswaddled. It took her TWO Hours to go to sleep! she wasn't crying she was just fighting sleep and thrashing around. She'd be almost asleep then wake her self up. I have a soothing music thing. I come in and put her paci back in and rub her head and all that. Any tips on helping her fall asleep faster?? I feed her right before too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sheez... just lay her down and let her fall asleep. Really? Aren't you going to look a little foolish going in to the dorms when she is in college, trying to swaddle her? Babies have to cry sometimes. From a Respiratory Therapist, THIS IS GOOD FOR THEIR LUNGS. They have to have ways to open their little alveolis!!! If you never allow the kid to cry, their lungs cannot expand and get the air that they need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Just keep doing what you are doing, but i would stop going in her room as much. Otherwise she will get that you will come in everytime she makes a peep or loses her paci and it will take her even longer to fall asleep. I do agree with the PP Ler her cry if she is. She will be ok and will learn to sooth herself to sleep. Overtime it wont take her so long to fall asleep. Just put her in her room like you do, close the door and walk away. Take the baby monitor obviously but just let her be. She will be fine.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Just keep doing what you are doing. Now that kids have to be put on their backs to sleep, it can take longer, they do startle a lot easier vs. when all babies were put on their tummy's. Just keep doing what you are doing, she will get better and fall asleep faster as long as you stay consisant
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I am somewhat having the same issue, but I find that if i swaddle her and let her fall asleep, then unwrap her after she is asleep it works much better.

Whoever answered this first is not a very nice person. My daughter is 4 mths and it is too early for the "cry it out"method. No doctor suggests cry it out until after 8 or 9 mths and only on occasions. Bed time should be a calm and relaxing time so that they learn to settle down in the evenings, not a stressful event.

how old is your LO?
    danmck1120

Answer by danmck1120 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OP here: She is 4mos old. I said she WASN"T crying. She was just laying there keeping herself awake. I was coming in the room about every 30-40 min to help soothe her. I've tried unswaddling her after she's asleep but as soon as the blanket comes unwrapped those arms start flying around and she wakes herself up.
    Anonymous

• 4 mo is still young... have you thought about a larger blanket... One yard of baby flannel was enough to keep my daughter swaddled till she no longer seemed to like it...she was 6 mo. I don't see anything wrong with swaddling till she is ready. She wille ventually grow out of it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• The suggestions when trying to wean from being swaddled is to do it gradually, first just one arm out, then just wrap her belly, then switch to a regular sleepsack (we love the Halo brand!). If she's not rolling over or breaking loose, then you could wait a bit longer to wean her.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 4:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010