Is this REALLY a surprise?

Report: FDA should force rollback in salty foods

AP :

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard, Ap Medical Writer – 1 hr 29 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Public health experts urged the Food and Drug Administration Tuesday to force food makers to gradually cut the salt hidden inside their products, something the agency is considering.
Tuesday, the prestigious Institute of Medicine said the food industry hasn't done enough to voluntarily cut back. It urged FDA to set maximum sodium levels for different foods in a stepwise rollback, so people have time to adjust to the change.

The FDA hasn't decided whether to regulate sodium levels, but "no options are off the table," said spokeswoman Meghan Scott.

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 11:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The IOM is an independent agency chartered by Congress to advise the federal government, and is just the latest in a string of health groups to pressure the FDA in recent years to cut the salt.

The American Medical Association has said that if the salt in processed and restaurant food were cut in half over 10 years, that ultimately 150,000 lives a year could be saved.
    Major foods makers have started reducing sodium in recent years, but have argued that they don't have tasty ways to replace sodium for deep cuts — and they fear consumer backlash as the taste changes.

But specialists say people do gradually get used to the taste of less sodium.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• At this rate it is only a matter of time before they are in our personal kitchens! I am getting mighty sick of the governments interference in my life.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Salt is bad for you, specially in processed foods, this is a good thing. What is so surprising about wanting to do something for the benefit of the consumer?

Answer by older at 11:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Are you suggesting this is a bad thing?

I don't think its that much of a surprise. When you teach people they don't need to be self reliant, that also teaches them that someone else will keep their best interests in mind. People rely on the govt too much to tell them whats best. This wouldn't be a problem if people learned to make responsible decisions including what they eat.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No it sure doesn't.My family rarely eats out.I control how much salt is in my food.The government will interfere more when Americans allow it's expansion.Now they will control our health care and so it is only logical that their tenacles will spread.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I am always torn over issues like this. On one hand, I feel that they should back off and let people make their own decisions. On the other hand, I know that most people won't take responsibility for their own health, and know that this would probably have positive results.

Eh, I think I'll just sit here and straddle the fence.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• What is the big deal? It is not like we can't go and add the salt they will omit if we wanted it there!

Answer by older at 11:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Next comes the salt tax lol..I will go buy some packages before that takes place.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• This is the perfect example of the ignorant in this nation. Pathetic that 'some' Americans are content with the "what's the big deal' ignorance factor and will let a nanny government take care of them... Hey, Americans!!! How about you take care of yourself and stop eating CRAP. If only more Americans would think for themselves and make better decisions on THEIR OWN... It's called personal responsibility. But why be personally responsible? Nanny Government can spoon feed dependent Americans... Funny how if MORE people were personally responsible, food makers would make more healthy foods because the demand for those foods would be higher... But noooooooo, ignorance yields Big Government. Which yields high consumer prices, taxes, etc...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OK well how about making home cooked meals and adding as much salt as you want. Hmm that's what I do. I think it is soooo much healthier to make home cooked meals with LESS salt and I add more because I like salt and my DD does not get any on hers except what I use to cook. Why is this soooo bad? I simply do not get it. The government is trying to make us healthy so the F what!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2010