How many times a day does your dog pee?

My 7.5lb 1yo terrier mix recent regressed about his housebreaking so I started paying more detailed attention to when he's actually going outside instead of just letting out (ie picking him up and seeing if there's anything left on he hairs on his boy parts). He's literally only peeing 1x per day. (I closed off the basement, which is where he was going for accidents, and he hasn't been going in the house anymore.)

I can let him out and make him stay outside for a while (depending on the weather- he's just a little guy and I don't want him to freeze!) but regardless of what I do, he only seems to go 1x/day.

He always has access to his water (and the cats water), so I'm not worried about dehydration.

Is there anything techincally wrong with him only going 1x/day?

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 11:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pets

• My dog pees at least three times a day. When we get up after she eats her breakfast, after dinner, and before bed. She is 3 1/2 yrs old. She will pee more if given access to outside since she is a marker.

You may want to start training him to pee on command. This doesn't mean he'll only go when told, but it can speed up the process. Just introduce a word when he does pee and praise him a lot. After a while, you can actually tell him to go and he will. My dog responds to, "Go pee" as well as "Go poop"

Also, make sure to measure the water your dog has access to at the beginning and end of the day. You may want to make sure he is actually drinking it. Just because he has access does not mean he's drinking it. Change it out more frequently too, some dogs don't like water that has been standing. You can also give him ice cubes as a treat if you are worried about his intake. He should be drinking about 270ml per day for his size.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You should let a dog out at minimum twice a day, if not more. We let our dogs out more than twice a day.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• That's just it- I'm in the habit of letting him out at least 3-4x/day, but he's just not going.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I would take him in to the vet. Being a male dog, he should be making "his rounds" to mark his territory nearly every time he goes out. He could have kidney problems.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Four times a day. I'd go to the vet, too. It could be a UTI or bladder infection. My little boy dog gets those on occasion.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• 2-4x a day. Sometimes she won't go. Has her days. But if it's consistent, I'd take him in to rule out UTIs, they can make it painful to pee and it might just be easier for him to hold it. Also looking at bladder stones, kidney stones, other problems...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I let our older dogs outside in the fenced-in yard every three hours to potty so if they pee each time, they pee six times/day. I take our 12wk (tomorrow) old puppy out every hour when she is awake (and she pees every time) so she pees about 10-12 times/day.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i have 3 dogs..all males....my golden retriever goes ooooooh about 8 times a day
    and my other 2, maltipoo x shihtzus go about 6-8 times a day
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010