How do you collect breastmilk?

I'm a SAHM and next week my mother needs help at her work, so my children will have to go to a sitter for the week. But I don't know when to pump to get enough milk for the first day.

johnston0609

Asked by johnston0609 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to do it at night, or after my son nursed.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I have a double electric Avent pump. When I do pump I do it at the first feeding of the day while the baby is nursing. I collect it in a bottle that fits the pump and then dump it into a lansinoh bag and put it in the freezer. I only store 3, maybe 4, ounces at a time because that's all she needs to drink while I'm gone. She only will need one ounce per hour that you are gone. Make sure your mom knows that or she will use up all your milk in one sitting and then whatever isn't eaten will go to waste and you'll have to pump more and more and it will be a pain.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I get nothing if I pump after she eats.. maybe an ounce at the most. She eats a lot at night, most nights so it's really hard to pump at night. She's almost 8 months old.. Does she really only eat an ounce an hour?
    johnston0609

Answer by johnston0609 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You can pump one breast while your baby nurses the other. The first morning feeding has the most milk.

Perhaps your baby can just eat solids while you are gone and nurse a lot when you get home. Or, maybe the baby can be brought to you to nurse at lunchtime.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Morning is best, and YES...one to one and a half ounces per hour is all she needs. That's based on a daily need of 24-30 ounces in 24 hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010