how do you feel about the unschooled kids in America? kids with no rules.no discipline

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/extreme-parenting-radical-unschooling-19218933
I am all for homeschooling if the child can get the same or a better education as regular school, but I do feel that the kids should be tested once a year to see their progress, & I feel that the parents should have to turn in a plan for what they are teaching.. & maybe certain subjects should be a must math, english, spelling, writing/grammar. When I heard about letting kids do what they want I thought these parents are crazy & they are not getting their kids ready for the real world, after all we as adults can't do what ever we want.. It was disturbing to hear the parents say no rules, no discipline.. I strongly disagree with this kind of thinking kids need rules, discipline, & they need an education they can only get if an adult is supervising.

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 11:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I saw that today and thought how sad for those kids. How in the world will they be able to adjust to life outside the family home. LIFE has rules, society has rules that need to be followed. That article really made me want to vomitt lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I agree.. It's very sad that there are so many lazy parents, and then the children suffer for it.. The children seem so far removed from reality, I feel so bad for them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I totally agree with you, these are the type of kids who will raise hell in their lives and the lives of others when they reach the teen years, because they feel they can do whatever they want and get away with it. And them a lot of us wonder why kids are the way they are today!

Answer by older at 12:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You all are so wrong....
    Anonymous

• I "unschooled" my children when I homeschooled. When they all started school they were tested and all 4 were 1 grade ahead of the grade they were going in to. We HAD rules and discipline though. We just had a more relaxed approach to learning. It was very hands on. My children went to book clubs (age based), story time, summer recreational programs and played football. They only associated with non-homeschooled children. All 4 eased wonderfully in to a traditional school setting and my oldest graduated 8th in his class, my 2nd son was 16th, my 3rd son will be 11th and my 4th son will be 7th when they graduate next month. Both are in the National Honors Society and my 18yo was accepted to all 3 colleges that he applied to. Not every unschooling or homeschooling family is exactly the same.
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:17 PM - very impressive. You must be so proud!! I wish my kids could do that well.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Unschooling is different than NO discipline. Parents who let their children do whatever they want are just begging for trouble
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think this is just a "passing fad" and won't last long. It is nuts. The kids are in charge!!! We know that in a healthy family,parents (and other adults whether it be teachers, health care workers, anyone)....we know they are in charge of the kids.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I've thought of homeschooling, but I don't think I would take it so far as to have NO rules in the house. That's a little too much for me personally.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 1:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Is it even legal to "unschool" ? I homeschool and we have to sign documents that say we are homeschooling and using proper ciriculum. If your using nothing how is it legal? If I didn't show that my child is actually getting schooled at home I would be in jail...
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010