Do you consider it child abuse to let your child have lice for 2 months because you don't have the patience to deal with it?!

This woman I know not young has a 10yr old daughter and this little girl has been running around with bugs in her hair because her parents don't feel like "dealing" with it!! WTF! And they're letting this little girl play with everyone elses kids!!! I consider it child abuse but that's my opinion anyone think I'm wrong?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• i agree as well its harm toward there children and others

Answer by Patience1 at 4:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I don't know- do lice bite? It definately sounds like lice is hard to get rid of but yes the parents should. I think it would be neglect.

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• TXdanielly, lice do bite! They eat your scalp!

OMG I cannot believe they aren't taking care of it! I mean, not only is it really uncomfortable (all that itchiness) but it gets harder to get rid of the longer you wait. By now her entire head is probably so infested that they're going to have to shave her head! They need to treat her, all the clothes and bedding needs to be washed, and the mattresses, pillows, couches, chairs (with fabric), rugs, towels, etc all need to be treated too. In extreme cases stuffed animals also need to be treated.

And to let the kid play with other kids? Lice spread so easily! They jump from one person to the next. All those other children are going to get it and my guess is that the parents aren't even telling the other parents. *sigh*

So rude and irresponsible! I would call it neglect and child endangerment.

Answer by amethystrse at 7:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i do yes!

Answer by ms_mommy_sue at 9:09 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Yes I think that is abuse or at least child neglect, if there is a known problem that is not being treated. It is sad to hear that someone would rather watch their child suffer.

Answer by Anubis8733 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Child Protective Services would consider this neglect. Do the children go to school, or daycare?? If so, left untreated they would report it to CPS.

Answer by ph0xdlady at 9:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• It is neglect and a community health issue. I would call Children and Youth services and the health department to report it. You are doing the girl and the community a service by doing so. No need to feel guilty or like you are overreating. I am a school nurse and it is reported if it is not dealt with and the school nurse knows about it. This one is a no brainer! You are absolutely correct!

Answer by manna1qd at 10:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Did these parents actually say to you that they "didn't want to deal with it"? Also, where do they live? The reason I ask is because when I was about that age I had lice constantly. It wasn't because my mom wasn't treating me. There was actually an epidemic in the school and was impossible to get rid of. We spent two years washing sheets, bombing the house, soaking brushes and combs in ammonia, using lice shampoo and a nit comb to comb through my hair every 6 weeks. And no, you don't have to shave her head to get rid of it! I've lived here over 20 years and never knew anyone who had to do's a myth! However, don't use Rid... it doesn't work. Anyway, if none of this is the case and the parents are just lazy... then that's considered neglect. If it were me, I'd treat the little girl myself one day when she was at my house!

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• They should be reported. This is neglect, which is definitely child abuse. What the hell kind of parents are they?!?!?!?!!!

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I feel that it is neglect. Unfortunately Children and Youth Services doesn't feel the same way. I know someone that tried to report her ex husband for this same thing, and they told her that it's not considered abuse unless it affects their schooling.

Answer by MommyTo2Boyz at 10:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2008