Annoying fussy fusser.

Lately it seems like this is the only way my year and a half old knows how to communicate. Of course it is not. How can I get him to understand that he needs to communicate differently to get his way. I try to ignore the nonsence, but it is hard when I want to help him & can't stand his baby talk. Trying to talk to him like an adult I think could work. But it is hard to talk over him while not raising my voice to the annoyingness of him. Help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is only 18 mos old, I'm sure he does not have a full vocabulary to express his thoughts, needs and wants, so whining is how he gets his point across
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• "I'm sorry. I can't understand you when you talk like that. Calm down and try to use your words, then I can help you. I know you are frustrated and I want to help you. However, there is nothing I can do until you use your big boy voice." When he does ask for things nicely, praise him wildly! Make sure he's not tired, hungry, etc. That will make whining worse and more frequent.

Be calm with him. If you're getting frustrated and it shows, it feeds his frustration (and therefore his whining.) He's 18 months old. He's still a baby. He may lack the vocabulary to express his feelings and needs at times. He lacks the emotional maturity to control his frustration and the cognitive development to be patient. Give him the words he needs and the tools to recognize when to use them.

You do not want to encourage whining, however, you also need to recognize what's a typical developmental stage and adjust expectations accordingly.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Thank you, Idmrmom, this is the kind of advice I am looking for. I just need to find the right words to speak to him. This is very helpful.
    Anonymous