6 week old constipated

Hello! In the past week, my six week old is having trouble with constipation. I am breastfeeding. Is it something I'm eating that is causing this? Someone suggested I may be getting too much iron. Also, if you have dealt with this, what did you do to help relieve your baby? The poor little guy is miserable. His Doctor reccomended that I put him on probiotics, but I just started them and don't think they are working yet.
Thank you. any advice helps!

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 12:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what signs is he showing that he is constipated? It is very common for BF babies to poop less often than formula fed babies
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yah they can go a week without pooing sometimes but she said that he is miserable =[ could be gas. You might look into the dairy in your diet as he could be sensitive to it.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My BF baby only pooped every 5 days or so. This was normal for him. The doctor told me it is only constipation if the bowel is hard and the baby is straining to get it out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Well, he has been gassy, from the start. I guess I am assuming that he is constipated now because he used to poop every few hours and now he is going maybe twice a day. I didn't realize that BF babies poop less. Is it normal for him to start pooping less when he used to go every few hours?
    His tummy is hard, which could be gas. He just seems like he's really straining...
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• yes, it can be normal for them to start going less as their bodies start working more effectively. My BF son went every 3-5 days!

Have you eaten anything different (spicy, lots of veggies, caffiene?)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I don't eat spicy, and don't consume very much caffiene other than a piece of chocolate every now and then. I do however eat a lot of veggies. I've been trying to stear clear of things like broccoli and spinach.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It all sounds very normal and most likely is not constipation. When he goes is it hard pellet like? If the answer is no then your child is NOT constipated. It is also very normal for a BF baby to poop less at about this point which is when your milk is also pretty well done regulating (for the moment). It sounds like you have a perfect little one, right on track! Also as the other moms have said baby may switch again and not poop for days and still not be constipated. EBF babies are rarely constipated.  My LO use to go once every 7 - 9 days and he was never constipated.

Anonymous

• Breastfed babies don't get constipated. If the baby only gets breastmilk and the baby is healthy it just can't happen. There is nothing you eat or any vitamins that can cause the baby to be constipated. Babies should never be given probiotics. Your baby's digestive system may take weeks to recover from the probiotics, if it ever recomers. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for 6 months. Not even any water!

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• After 4-6 weeks, EBF babies can have bowel movements a few times a day to once every few days. My son would go every 8 days. It's normal, and safe, as long as the stools are not dry, hard or pellet like. Up to 2-3 weeks is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Thanks everyone. His stools have been normal when he does go. I appretiate knowing this is normal! =)
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 3:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2010