Breast pain

I have been BF-ing for a month and 1/2. is it normal to have tender breast after this long. Its not my nipples its just my whole boob and its not when I'm BF-ing its when I'm not. Is this normal to have pain??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• have you been checked for metastis?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have been BF for 19 months. my boobs do that if i go to long inbetween or i dont switch back and forth evenly. you prob have a blocked milk ducked. *spelling* lol. you should nurse as much as you can on that side even if it hurts. if you have a breast pump then use it to drain your boob when you are not nursing. i found that if i get in the hot shower and let the water run on it then try and express by hand in the shower you will feel better. you need to get the milk moving in there. if that does not help then go see your doc. good luck. i know what you are feeling. : (
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It could also be a minor yeast infeciton. Try a course of probiotics.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• That sounds like when I had mastitis--it's common but not normal :) Definitely keep nursing as much as you can, and pump too, as a PP said. I would get checked by your doctor. Do you have a fever or red streaks on your breast?
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I haven't been checked at all. I have been exclusively pumping for 2 weeks due to health issues with DS. Today thought I actually pumped all I could and then let him nurse on both sides to empty them as much as he could. the pain was actually relieved. so is the pain maybe from me not getting enought out when I pump?? DS has surgery next monday and then hopefully we can continue breastfeeding exclusively and ditch the pumping.
    Anonymous

• It's normal to be uncomfortable when you're BF'ing but if it's severe you might need anti-biotics for mastitis.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 5:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2010