This is so embarrassing...but how do I stop a middle of the night feed for a 22 month old?

I am totally wrong for letting things get to this point. In the beginning it was just easier when I was exhausted to just give in to him. Well now he's 22 months old and STILL wakes at between 3-5 am for a sippy of milk.

How can I break this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• :(
    awww, I feel your pain! lol My daughter was younger than yours but I did have the same problem. But it was my fault and I knowingly admit that,lol. It was easier for me to give her some milk when she woke up than to hear her crying but in turn I created a bad habit for her. I had talked to her ped about it and he said its not a nutritional thing...she doesn't 'need' to have that extra in the middle of the night feed, so I should just let her cry it out.
    And over about a weeks of time, I slowly got her out of it and she usually sleeps all night.
    First night...I let her cry about 5 minutes before I gave in (okay, so maybe it was more like 2 mins,lol)
    Then each night there after I would go longer. Eventually she would just tire out and go back to sleep until she didn't wake up at all. It may be a bit harder and longer for you because yours is older but you might as well do it now. Good LUCK!!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You have trained your son to wake and now you need to untrain him. He isn't waking because he is thirsty. You will have to tell him yo uwill not be bringing the sippy to him anymore. When he wakes, go to him and remind him, give him a kiss and go back to bed. He will probably cry and my solution is to let him cry. Thats up to you but do you want to fix this or not? He will be upset just as anyone gets when they have to break a habit. Every night remind him you will not be bringing the sippy and decide how many nights you will go in to remind him when he wakes. 2 or 3 nights is fine. He will have the idea by then and he will remember. Make sure he has a night light and lovey or a toy or book to look at when he wakes. Hopefully he will choose to just go back to sleep. Good luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Don't feel bad. My son was 3!!! At 1 1/2 years I switched it to water thinking that would stop it, but he loved the water. It made it easier though. I would go to sleep with the water by my bed, ready. Finally, (at 3!!!!) he finally slept through the night. So, I have no advice, but I feel your pain.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• CIO, that's how. When he wakes, it's simple, don't give him anything! I sometimes leave a sippy cup iwth water in my DD's crib so she knows it's there and have a sip. I don't think the issue is with drinking but with having you go in the room and pay attention to him. He nees to know that nighttime is for sleeping. He will learn to put himself to sleep, trust me. It only took mine 3 days and she is very stubborn!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Since I'm assuming you will be potty training before too long, I wouldn't substitute a sippy cup of milk for water. You need to cut out middle of the night drinks completely. Tell him before he goes to bed that there is no milk until breakfast. When he wakes up in the middle of the night, remind him and wait until he goes back to sleep. It may take a couple of nights, but then should be done.

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My 9yr old did that till he was 3, just like you only every 2-3 hours. I eventually left a sippy of water in/ by his bed and he started using that instead of waking me up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Give 'em a good snack before bed.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 5:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2010