I have a question about pregnancy and help

hi. this is my first time on this site. I found it when I was trying to look up information for myself. I am pregnant for the first time. I know that my parents are going to go through the roof and they have always said they would throw me out. They even went so far as to put me on Birth control at 13. Well here at 16 guess what? Those pills didn't work. anyway before I go telling my parents I was wondering what I need to know. I mean about how I can help myself and how I can tell them. Will my parents insurance on me cover a baby or will I have to find new ins? I don't have a job can I get one pregnant? If I am 2 weeks late how far along am I? When do I need to call the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i cant help you on what to tell your parents but if you are pregnant you need to see a dr right away. I was 18 when i got pregnant with my 1st and my mom freaked out and wanted me to get an abortion but i was not living with her at the time. Im sure there will be helpful people on this site for you and i know there are groups for teen moms also.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 12:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• honey you're gonna be ok. I was eighteen when I got pregnant with my first, homeless and on heroin. I made it.

not to mention I was on the depo shot when I got preg with my son, and on the pill with my daughter and the child i'm preg w/ now. some of us are just super firtile. congrats! :P

ok. call your doc, you need vitamins, and if something's wrong, the doc needs to know now, not later when something worse can happen.

i suggest calling human services (social services whatever they call it in your state, the welfare agency) and having them send you, or a friend's address, information on shelters, and also finding out how you can get on food stamps. you need a "case manager" or "case worker" to speak for you, you're a minor.

you're also a woman. with real legal and human rights. You don't have to do ANYTHING that you don't feel right about. That baby will change your life in more GOOD ways than it will bad.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 12:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• you can get a job while pregnant, and you may qualify for maternity leave. your parents insurance should cover you, but you will have to talk to them about that. usually they cover you and the baby for the hospital stay, and then you will have to find something else for the baby after it is born.
    google due date calculators, and it will ask for the first date of your last period, then it will give you a due date. i suggest telling your parents that you took all preventative measures, but nothing works 100%, and that you need supposrt at this time. they will probably be mad, and then they will either ge on board, or you will have to make a life for yourself & your baby. good luck.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• she should cover her bases first before telling her parents ANYTHING. they've already made the most aweful threats. they could actually mean them. and if she doesn't plan now, she'll be screwed once they know.

don't worry about getting a job yet.... i've been thinking... she needs to go to a church her parents don't go to... one that helps with homeless people, or gives food... look in the phone book for "food banks" and call some of thechurches that will surely be listed. she needs someone to speak for her, and help her prepare a place to live while she's (possibly) cutting legal ties as a minor.

be prepared for plenty of sunny volunteer work in repayment to the churches.... but do it happily, and with a positive attitude. Later when you get on food stamps and apply for an apartment, you will need those volunteer hours! also for your senior volunteer hours... :P
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 12:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• sounds like you are about 6 weeks. insurance varies, but there is a good chance you will stay on your parents'.

you might want to go ahead researching doctors and midwives in your area and call to get an appointment. i saw the midwife at 10 weeks but sometimes they are booked and you have to make an appt ahead of time :)

you might also want to look into WIC or other social programs.

good luck :)
    Anonymous

• just from PP, most likely you WOULD NOT qualify for maternity leave if you got a job now. most jobs you have to be employed at least a year before your job is protected.
    Anonymous