Is is precaution or asking for trouble

putting a 13-14 year old on birth control. Does it
A- Give permission to have sex just don't get pregnant
B- Teach responsibility should you choose to have sex
C- Other

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is highly irresponsibly parenting and I can't imagine a doctor who actually cares about his/her patients well being putting a 13 year old on BC. Sex is not the be all end all experience of the world and although I do know things happen, it seems it's more parents who don't bother to try to teach waiting for the right time and person and the responsibilities an consequences of sex. For the latter that includes STD's because, and here is something that doesn't seem to get brought up with these little BC discussions, the pill protects against pregnancy, not disease. I'm a little tired of seeing parents just giving up and saying "they are going to do it anyway so I'll let them do what they want" whether it's drinking, sex, hanging out until whenever. They they wonder why they have a smart ass or a drunk or a promiscous teen with an STD.
    Anonymous

• *Is it
    Anonymous

• I think B. when i was that age, i got on birth control myself. there's no way in hell my mother would have agreed, but there was no way in hell I was going to abstain.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I went on BC when I was 13 for menstural issues.... was on it all through high school and college
    I was a virgin till I was 23
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• it is saving your from raising your childs baby. it is a risky and touchy subject. i would hope that as a parent you are talking to your daughter about her sex life and educating her about all the risks. and that you know were she is at all times and who she is with. do not allow her to be in the opportunity to be sexually active. educate, educate, educate!!! and good luck!

i have a daughter that is a toddler and i dred the day that this comes up in our house. eeek.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• There is something wrong when you have to talk about getting birth control to a 13-14 year old. I would think a 16 year old is a more appropriate age. 13? 14? way too young. There is something wrong when children are having sex this young.
    Anonymous