What are the essential baby items that are more costly? We're trying to budget for baby! :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Crib. Pack and play. Swing. Travel system/car seat. Bassinet depending on if you're going to co-sleep or not.
    Anonymous

• really the only "essentials" are clothes and blankets and they aren't too expensive usually.

most people want the baby to have some sort of bed, so a bassinet or a crib. bassinets can be between $50-200 or more, and cribs can be between $100-$1000 or more.

other stuff that some people love to have for their babies are strollers, bouncy seats/swings. which can be like $40-200 (or more) each.

OH if you will be driving, a car seat will be necessary!!! those can be from like $60-300 or more.
    _____
    we are really broke right now so we are using the bassinet we had for my son (we got that 2nd hand for $50), his old graco snug ride & matching stroller (were about $150 new for both). we have to buy clothes and blankets because we gave all of that away. i'm going to buy a new breast pump ($150 for a lansinoh and bottles). and i'm going to buy a moby ($50). i also want a bath tub but that can be found for like 10 bucks.
    Anonymous

• Things I used the most that cost the most: crib, travel system, and swing. Instead of a bassinet we got a moses basket. Or you could use a pack n play in your room for a bassinet. The pack n play I really didn't use until babies #2 and #3 to get them up off the ground so they wouldn't get run over by the others.
    Anonymous

• car seat, a place for the baby to sleep, swing, stroller... those are the big ones. but if you add up the price of clothes and diapers the first couple months you would find out they cost more than anything else.
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Our crib was the most expensive this we got, and we didn't even put our son in it until he was 5 months old (if time lines to how soon you'll need something mean anything to you). He slept in a cosleeper until then. It's like a bassinet but you put it right up next to the side of the bed so it has the feel of him being in bed with you while he's still safe in his own little protected area. That costed about $150 (we got the mini).

Then the carseat/travel system. Though I advise spending more money on an umbrella stroller for later rather than a big infant stroller.

High chair - didn't use until about 5 or 6 months.

Pack and play - didn't use right away either (but very nice to have if you planning on going to grandparents houses for long visits).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I agree with the other person above but add the "HiSense BabySense V Baby Safe Infant Movement Monitor" by Babysense. This is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT item to buy for a new baby. Worth every single penny!!! I had this for my son and it gave me so much peace of mind at night and during naps. It monitors thier breathing. It is just two pads that go under the crib mattress and a monitor. You can also use one pad in the bassinet. If they stop breathing for a few seconds, an LOUD alarm goes off. I cannot imagine NOT having this especially with a first child. You'll be able to get the sleep YOU need. Also you need a regular (fisher price) sound monitor so you can listen for crying. Best wishes!! I purchased both on Amazon.com. I used it for 3 years while he was in a crib. Great when they have a cold too and may have trouble breathing.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• a real crib and mattress for home... OR if you travel a lot, skip the real crib and get the pack n play, but get an extra thick baby comfortor to lay down in there, those pack n plays are not so... um... ergonomic... ? lol probably the wrong word.

ESSENTIAL IS THE BOUNCY BABY CHAIR.... the little 45 degree-ish angled chair that baby can sleep in, set in, eat in... you can take it anywhere. they come apart and together easy.... some have little toys that latch on in front of baby... some vibrate... yeah that's number one...
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• a carseat. if you sleep with your baby, you don't need a crib, otherwise a crib can be expensive...you could always check craigs list if you wanted to save money that way. we were never big on gear for our babies. because i love to walk with the kids, a stroller was very important to me.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Daycare! Our daycare is $900/mos!!!!!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Maybe you can try a used baby item store? I have a Kid 2 Kid and Once Upon A Child near me.

You will need a car seat and stroller, crib, swing, clothes and diapers. I would wait until after your shower to buy stuff though. You'd be surprised at what you will get! Gather everything you can from your friends and family (for free... just ask to borrow things) and make a registry from there.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010