how well does your 5 yr old read and write?

just curious. my dd is in K and she reads very well and can spell and sound out most everyday words, but she writes really sloppy most of the time, and i have seen kids in her class that have very neat handwriting and i just wondered what else i could do to help her with that

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is also 5. He is just learning to read. His writing is very messy. I think that it is just because they are young. My osn also doesn't like to sit still for long and writing neatly takes a long time.
    Anonymous

• My son is 6 and can read pretty well. He spells great. He's even in 1st grade math and reading. His handwriting? Just like his daddy's, LOL. He needs to work on it a little more. Get your daughter one of the lined books that helps w/ writing and get her to practice. That will help.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My kindergarten son reads and writes at first grade level, but it is a sloppy mess. I've been making him practice and it is getting better. If I can not read his homework, I erase and he has to start over. Eventually, he gets tired of redoing it and does it neater the first time. Sloppy handwriting is no indication of intelligence, for my son, I think it's just laziness. I have seen him write neatly when he really tries.
    robwife

Answer by robwife at 2:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• She's a little kid. Cut her some slack. I didn't have neat handwriting until college! How important is it in her happiness in life? Let her play and be a happy little child. Don't push her to do things that are not that important in her life now.
    Anonymous

• Our youngest is in kindergarten and tested at a 2nd grade level with reading... His handwriting on the other hand is sloppy,lol.. I think with practice they will improve.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• there always has to be one ass in the bunch! im not tryin to force her to be a perfect writer i just want to know if and how she could be improving, and theres nothing wrong with that
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• my 5 yr old is really bad at writing and it is because he doesn't have the muscles developed enough in his hands/fingers.
    I asked that he be tested for small motor skills because i wasn't happy with his writting skills and sure enough he needs O.T in his hands to make it easier for him to write.
    Anonymous

• my daughter writes ok...but she lacks in reading..she has absoluely noooo interest in reading..she never has! i have hundreds of books!!!! i have read to her every day from day one!! and still nothing!! her preschool teachers, and this year her kindergarten teacher have all said that they have never seen a child that doesnt like to listen to stories!! i mean she reads the basic words..so its not like shes behind..but..she definetly neds more practice...reading with her every night (its daily homework from school that she has to do) is suuuuuuuch a struggle!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It just takes practice, practice, practice, practice. Make practice fun by letting her pick our her own journal that she can write in every day about whatever. Don't criticize anything at all that she writes. Let her read it to you every once in a while. After she has done it for a while, look at the handwriting with her and comment on the improvements she's made. Don't say anything about areas that she needs to improve, just comment on the good things. You could also have her write letters to family or friends. Maybe Grandma would be willing to be a pen pal?
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• my 6yr old son in k too he just learn to read n write it take time to be a pro at it
    lovingheart26

Answer by lovingheart26 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010