We've been saving up to buy a house, and are just now starting to check out the market. What are the top priorities you have for buying a house?

Obviously there are things like the neighborhood and the schools, but what are some qualities of the house that are "must haves" or "deal breakers"??

My absolutely number one MUST HAVE is decent sized closets. We have been living three years in a cramped apartment (to save money!) with NO CLOSETS! I refuse to ever, ever, ever live somewhere without them again. :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• For us, it would be a great kitchen with lots of counter space and a dishwasher. Good sized bedrooms, preferably 4 of them (master for us, 1 for each kid and a guest room). A garage or workshop type building for him. And a closet in our room big enough to store the gun safe in. Fenced in is a plus, but we can do it ourselves, so we would let that go for a place that is otherwise ideal.

I think it varies for each family.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Location, location, location. You can change just about anything about a house except where it is. Yes, obviously good schools and a nice family friendly community. Storage space is very high on my list also. 2 car garage, at least 2 baths and 3 bedrooms, deck, nice yard to play in, then it must pass a detailed inspection, no flooding issues, good roof, good septic, above ground oil tank if applicable, all the things that would cost tons to fix or replace must be in good working condition.... you can change flooring, cabinets, paint color, etc....but the basics need to be solid.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• with the house we have now, move in ready was a must for us...i was in my 2nd trimester with twins (we didn't know it at the time) but there was no way we would be able to paint, or replace flooring or remove wallpaper or anything else like that. out of 34 houses, only 3 were move in ready. another requirement for us was a finished basement for the kids and their toys. one great thing that came with our house was something i never considered...great landscaping! congrats on your new adventure!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have to live "off the grid". the less bills the better. i want a reliable well for water, a generator, wind mill, or solar panels for power, land for animals and crops, and a basement or cellar for storage/protection (im afraid of bad weather lol) other things are important, like enough bedrooms, closets, ect... but those are all things that can be fixed/added if you have enough land to begin with.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i had to have 2 bath rooms and a big backyard
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• For us a living room with a separate play room, good sized yard, safe neighborhood, good schools and the more bathrooms the better. We got VERY lucky with our house. We got everything that mattered on our list!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It depends on the family.

For us the school district was #1, then the neighborhood.

For the house our must haves were at least 2500sf, 3+ beds, 3+baths, a separate laundry room, a playroom and a decent sized yard.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• location location location. gramsmom hit it on the head exactly.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Start paying attention to your kid's and family's habits, make sure the house you buy will fit YOUR lifestyle.

People kept telling me I could get a great deal on a newer home in a subdivision, but that is just not us.

I just bought a 100 year old house that needs a LOT of work, but for us it is perfect. Many closets and bathrooms. We are in a cute city neighborhood but have a huge backyard. That alone made the house unique and worth the effort. I really wanted a pretty neighborhood where I could go for a walk. Also a back deck. The kids wanted space and their own rooms. (We were in a cramped apt too)

But, I would not have chosen this one if my kids were still in diapers! My boys are 8 and 15, big enough to be a help with everything.
    Good luck to you!
    whirlygirl

Answer by whirlygirl at 8:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2010