I just realized I don't exactly know what autism is.

I support finding a cause for autism, but I realized the other day that I don't know really what it is...I know some children with it can't really express their thoughts, but that's mainly all I know. this makes me feel kinda bad that I don't know what it is. what is it really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• that is really tough to answer, because it looks SO different in every kid....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• the basics of it are hard to explain and every child has a differnt degree as to what they can and cant take on a daily bases......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Autism is difficult to explain because it is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same. It is a big, broad spectrum disorder and each person is unique. Meaning-- what my son does another child may/may not do. Example-- My cousin's nephew has an Autism diagnosis, he is non-verbal, he stims, flaps his hands and rocks. My son also has an Autism diagnosis (Aspergers)- he is very verbal, and he does not stim, flap or rock. My son's friend has the same diagnosis (Aspergers) but that is where the similarity ends-- they both are unique and have certain things that they say/do that the other does not.
    My son's teacher likes to say "If you have met one person with Autism you have met one person".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Well said, MizLee.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• ""Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life and is the result of a neurological disorder that affects the normal functioning of the brain, impacting development in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. Both children and adults with autism typically show difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions, and leisure or play activities."

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010