My son tried to choke another kid! Help!

My son is three and has started going to a new daycare about 2 months ago. Everything was great until yesterday when he got his first time out. I asked him what he did, but he wouldn't tell me. So I asked the daycare lady today. She told me he tried to choke another child! He's normally a sweet little boy who plays really well with the other kids. It is so out of character. We explained that hands do not go on people's necks and I think he understood me (it's so hard to know sometimes), but I am really upset.

Is this something that some kids do and then out grow, or should I be really worried??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think the first thing I'd try to figure out is where he learned that from. That is definitely not something he should be doing and you obviously know that. While it's understandable that it's upsetting you and I can't say choking is "normal" all kids do SOMETHING wrong every now and then and I think you are just used to your son being too small to know better. All kids do "bad" things and that doesn't mean that it's an indicator that your child is going to be a bad person, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep teaching him right from wrong.
    Anonymous

• was he doing it to try and hurt the other kid or were they playing and that's how it happened? if they were playing then i would not worry and your explanation should be good. if he was trying to hurt him then i think you should be concerned
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2010