worried about child daycare

my son is almost 4 months old and i have to get a job! i have social anxiety for one and i also worry too much! i am scared to leave my son where there is older kids bc they like to play with him and i'm scared they might accidentally hurt him. for some reason kids like to poke him in the eyes and that bothers me. has anyone ever felt like this? if so what did you do to overcome this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I understand how you must feel. When my older stepson comes around my 10 month old my anxiety goes up because I feel like he's too rough...lately I've relaxed a bit because even when I think he's being just a little too loud or rough she laughs at him and ADORES him...just make sure you feel comfortable with the place and the people who work there. Most kids go to daycare at some point so don't get too worked up, it will be ok!! Good luck.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'm sorry for you, mama.... I guess there's no way you'd be able to stay home with him? I don't blame you for feeling anxious. My DS is 7 months and I haven't left him with anyone but my mom, so I would be anxious, too. Is there no family member or friend who could care for him? I guess the only thing would be to visit all the daycare centers in your area, inteview the teachers, see who you feel most comfortable with. You're the mom, and there's nothing wrong with you interviewing them and being picky. Hang in there!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I work for a child care resource and referral agency, I would be happy to help answer any questions you have and help you out...
    pm me if you want
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Find someone to come to your home and care for your baby or a woman to care for your baby in her home with no or few other children.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• When I wored in daycare for four years, I worked in the baby room. Where I was, no 4 month old would ever be near enough to an older one to cause issues. We were only allowed so many per teacher and between the two of us in the clssroom, the kids were well cared for, loved and very safe. The class was for 4 weeks to 17 months. We tried to alternate older ones playtime with the younger ones naps. That way, the oler ones were napping when the younger ones had tummy time. NO chance of eye poking or the like. I don't know if this helps but, I hope it does.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yea, I work and go to the school too. Started having the little guy watched when he was 5 months old. Hit up a website like Care.com. or someway to find someone available for in home care. There's always a good fit somewhere out there.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• keep in mind that in most states, providers that come into your home to provide care are not licensed or registered through the state
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• DEFINITELY take him to a licensed daycare. My sitter is licensed and I love her. I have 2 boys, 6 & 3, and I'm pregnant again. I work FT and go to nursing school at night, so I know how stressful it can be. Get plenty of references and ask DSS to give you a list of the daycares complaints/violations.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My kids have always been in a family daycare. The older kids are with the younger kids. It's really wonderful for them. The younger ones look up to and learn from the older ones. They are always well looked-after. They are not dumped in a room to fend for themselves. I've only had good experiences with this set up. Your son will love it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010