should I forget about it?

I started a home daycare three months ago. we reside in a big Estate with over 300 flats, there 's no daycare in the neighborhood. I pasted some fliers and dropped some house to house and also passed the word to my friends and neighbors.I have also dropped some flyers in the hospital and other places,actually I have gotten some phone calls from people who promised to bring their kids over but I haven't seen anyone not even one kid! My hubby is really pissed cos he gave me some money to set up the place. My friend suggested now that we should pair and start a chicken farm in my yard( Egg production). I don't think that hubby would give me money for that! I really want to earn some money and I'm tired of being unproductive, having to depend on hubby for everything and unable to buy things for my kids and contribute to the family earnings. How do I get kids for my Daycare? or succeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• are your rates competitive with other child care in the area? are your hours compatible with parents work schedules? What ages do you aceept?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Okay, sometimes honesty hurts but I'll tell you what I think from reading your response. Flyers are a junk way of marketing. Hit up the SBA (Small Business Administration) for online or local courses on marketing. Go to local mother's groups. Go to local libraries. Go to local schools. People throw flyers away but they don't throw relationships away. Network. Market. I'd be mad too if I dropped money on a home business project and the entrepreneur didn't do basic planning. Don't let that investment go to waste.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 2:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think you need to figure out why people promise to bring their kids and then dont. Are you licensed? Do you have CPR and emergency training? How, other than flyers, are you marketing yourself?
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think you should keep this idea going it takes awhile to get the right kids in your home.Are you certified? Ar eyou excited and peppy when they call? Do you have reliable references? Are your hours and rates good? Is your service convient or do you make them bring snacks and such?

I would think of where kids are and where the most people will see your flyer. libraries, churches, gymnastics club, fitness centers...also word of mouth is great. Can you run an add in paper? does the outside of your house look clean and picked up?

i wouldnt give up yet just try new things.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Wow. I would think you would get tons of responses- especially as summer approaches. There are several other things you can do. I suggest you post on Craigslist for your area. Also go to Topix.net for your area and post there. I have a list of several more in my Blog for you:

Classifieds post

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Many parents, especially in upscale areas, will only leave their children with licensed daycare providers.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have a blog post that helps you with this. You need to be listed at your states resource center. I did no advertising at all and I got clients click here to read the post. You may have to scroll to find it.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2010