Is this wrong to you?

I work at Wal-mart and on the way to work I started to feel dizzy like I was going to faint while going 70 MPH on the highway. I mustered up the strength to go in and tell them what happened since this spell occured right before I got to my job. I knew something wasn't right so I told them I need to get to a doctor right away and that I almost passed out while driving. The manager said "well how's your attendence and rambled on about it." I understand there are rules and there should be but was this out of line to you? This isn't the first bad encounter I've had with them. Everytime I get sick or something happens I fear each time I'll lose my job and I NEVER skip unless I HAVE to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am sorry to see that you are getting some very non-supportive answers here. Although your attendance may be "an issue" for your employer (or any employer), as preggoandfat said, the point here is your health and, secondarily, your ability to do your job safely.
    My mom and I were just having a conversation about this the other day, about all the arbitrary rules employers like this impose on workers, like you can't call in sick the day of, it has to be the day before. What irks my mom the most is when employers demand a doctor's note when they don't offer benefits and certainly don't pay enough for their workers to be able to go to a doctor every time they have a stupid virus or something.
    Also, knowing about something ahead of time doesn't make it less wrong. This was, and is, obviously wrong. Perhaps a better question would be can you and should you try to do anything about it. I wish I had an answer for that one.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• right or wrong, it is their policy, which you knew when you started
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes it's wrong and it doesn't only happen at Wal-Mart! A friend of mine was constantly getting written up for taking afternoons off to go to her regularly scheduled Dr.s appointments. She had notes and everything, she would come in to work with her arm swollen 3x it's size but they still wrote her up and that was a big factor in her getting fired.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you call in sick a lot? You say you never skip unless you HAVE to but how often is that? That is an issue for any employer.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• my opinion is if any job wont let u off work when u physically can not work safely, then just clock out or leave without permission. if they try to say anything about it, then tell them "i told u i was not physically fit to do my job safely. would u rather i pass out on the job, then sue u for workers comp?? i believe not" i hate it when "family places" say they care about families and their employees then show they dont
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Business dont give a crap about the people that work for them. If you dont give 100%, you will be replaced with the next person in line who will do it for as long as they can. It sucks.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• To Orionsgirl, that so totally isn't the point. The point is she isn't well. The thing about retail/hourly/shift/entry level workers is you better be in good health because they really don't care about your well-being. That is clearly obvious in the schedule changes that typically happen, the poor management skills, the unfair policies about illness/getting hurt on the job/health benefits.
    But... OP, if this job is your only option to step up to success, really, suck it up. Yeah, it sucks. But suck it up. And, if you want to bite them in the A$$ someday, go to the doctor and get a note that you WERE dizzy on that day, and keep a log of things management did to you. If you don't think you can be successful by climbing the ladder, be successful by suing the heck out of walmart. I will be very happy for you.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• ((OP)) preggoandfat...This is NOT my only option. I am in school and plan to graduate this fall.
    Anonymous

• Management doesn't want to have to deal with your issues very often. They hire you to do a job and expect you to be well enough to show up to do it and not bother them with personal problems. Yes it sucks but I think most jobs are like that. It seems like if it was the first time something happened then it sounds like it was handled poorly but maybe you should count how many times you have been late, or missed or had to trade days because of personal stuff and see if it is reasonable.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Whoa, hey, I am supportive to the OP. Hey, I get it. But really, Walmart is an asshat place to work. I'd expect it from them they day I applied and I'd look for a new job the day they hired me.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 3:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010