In your opinion, could the US Government be a threat to the liberty of US citizens?

How many worry about too much government control?
Why are other people ok with an increase in government control?

Why do some people feel the need to demonize those who question government's intent and motives? Isn't that what we should do?

dandydiane

Asked by dandydiane at 2:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• actually, the people are supposed to govern themselves. i worry very much about government control. just read the "patriot act" something i live by when it comes to my feelings on government: a government who can give you everything can take it all away.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Of course any government is a threatening force to a person's liberty.

That's the exact reason our founders organized the government with checks and balances in-order to hinder that sort of thing. They knew it was in the nature of governing bodies to overstep their boundaries, and wanted to keep ours a little reigned in at least.
    Anonymous

• I wince every time someone says "There should be a law" or "that should be illegal". Because of this sentiment, it's now illegal for small children to go skipping through the local park. The law clearly says "Only posted activities allowed".

Many laws either do nothing, or have unintended consequences that are equally bad.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• For the first time in history, I truly believe that this government in power now is a real threat. They are now even trying to regulate how and what we are "allowed" to eat. I'm all for eating healthy, but it is NO ONE'S responsibility but my own to decide what I eat and how it should be prepared. This nanny government we have now is just horrible.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I don't worry about it, and never have under any administration. The citizens of this nation won't allow it. The very fact that we have TEA parties is proof positive. So I want to keep seeing the dissenters do their thing. Even when I don't agree with them, I do agree with their right to say what they want.

What I DON"T want is for dissent to get in the way of what's logical and right for this country. When ideology trumps logic, we're all in trouble.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• The tea party isn't anti-government. They are anti-Obama and Anti-Democrat.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• is it possible, of course. do i think its going to happen soon, no. i laugh at how all of a sudden we are to be shocked & worried. questioning is good, holding our govt officials accountable is good, but common sense should remain.

what i dont get is where all these angry small govt ppl were when the Patriot Act was signed...why'd they wait till a Democrat was president? i cant help but think they wouldnt be protesting if McCain had won...even if he did the exact same things.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Obama kept the patriot act and expanded upon the act.I can't help but think where are all of the liberal's who complained endlessly about it when it was Bush?
    Anonymous

• Obama even complained about the P.A. he also complained about GITMO which is still open.
    Anonymous