breastfeeding question ( also in pregnancy quest )

Hello I was wondering if their is any hope for me to still breastfeed my daughter 6 weeks ago I had her was breastfeeding her and two days after labor had to stop I had a spinal headach ( from my eppi ) was orderd to lay falt and take med for 5 days till it was gone well it took 7 days to go away so for that time she had a bottle than after I breastfeed but I got a bad chest cold so she got the bottle again for 4 days than she got so hooked on the bottle she didnt want me now for some reason she always turns her head to me and trys to eat to I let her latch on last week and she did great but my milk is almost dry I have been pumping but I only get maybe a half of a oz should I keep trying to produce milk or just give up Thanks Ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get an At-Breast Supplementer

Get some Domperidone

Send as much time skin to  skin with your baby as you can.  Encourage her to nurse as much as you can!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• dont give up. put the baby to breast as much as you can. if she wnats to be there all day let her. (the more she nurses the fatser your milk will come) pump pump pump. ( especially if the baby is ahving hard time latching) pump every 2 hrs for 15 mts. or better yet pump while you try to nurse her. drink lots of fluids at least 64 oz daily more is better even broth counts stay away form any alchol,soda or caffeine. oatmeal is good eat one bowl of the real kind not instant. fernugreek pills are good. you find them at gnc or health food stores. if you have a babies r us near. get mother milk tea. it helps with low supply. my ds stop latching on at a few weeks old. i pumped exclusevely for 10 1/2 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You are not "dried up". Breasts don't go empty. There are glands in the breasts that look like grapes and have a duct that goes to the nipple. The milk gland is a modified sweat gland. The little glands make the milk and it flows out the ducts. The breasts aren't anything like containers. Since your glands are making milk, they can make more milk.

Pumps aren't as good at stimulating the breasts to get the hormonal response as a baby. You may only get half an ounce with a pump but the baby may be able to get 6! The relactation process involves getting the baby to nurse at the breast, establishing a breastfeeding relationship, and eliminating supplemental breastmilk or formula.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• well first of all, if you get a cold, any type of sickness breastfeedin is atcually the best thing for the baby. It helps them build up antibodies. Second I would strongly recommend getting rid of the bottle. She wants teh bottle because she does not have to work for her food, it just poor out. Also bottles can cause nipple confusion. So, definitely go and see a lactation consultant, even a la leche league leader (www.llli.org). My suggestion is to try and nurse her, squeeze your boob just a bit to get some milk on your nipple and see if the smell of the milk willhelp her latch. Make sure her mouth is wide upen and latch her like she's eating a big hamburger (botyome lip than top) Ihope that makes sense. If she does not take it give her a litte milk in a spoon, or have her suck your finger while you use a syringe to give her a little milk at a time. Then truy the breast again, using the method I suggested. She will....
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You may be able to relactate in days, it could take longer. It depends on how well your baby takes to the breast. La Leche League Leaders will help with relactation by phone for free.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• eventually latch on if you refuse to give her the bottle. Keep it up, and if you need message me, please feel free to!
    Precious333

• Well, for your own future information, you didn't have to give a bottle because you had a cold, and as long as you weren't on ginormous doses of pain medication (meaning, like, IV morphine) then you didn't need to stop breastfeeding for the headache. Most pain medication is compatible with breastfeeding, and being sick is actually a great time to breastfeed, because baby is getting immunities to the bug that you have.

That said, yes, there is hope. You have to work hard at getting baby back to breast, but it's worth it. Offer the breast before EVERY bottle you offer. Try for 10 minutes. Don't wait unitl baby is crying for hunger, watch for other cues (like rooting reflex, putting hands in the mouth, being more alert, looking for you, etc). Once you can get baby to suckle at the breast, use an SNS like this one http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Give suppliments only AFTER baby as nursed, and keep putting baby to breast as often as possible. You can also pump to try to stimulate supply between feedings, or pump the other side while you're feeding, and use whatever milk you get in the SNS to avoid formula as much as possible.

You can do it, mamma! Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It's very possible. It will be easier for you then some women, because she will latch on. Nurse VERY often. What you pump means nothing. I'd suggest getting a supplemental nursing system while you build your supply back up. Look into your local La Leche League. Speak to a leader, or an IBCLC. Get into the Breastfeeding Moms group on here. You're on the right track. It's possible for you to be exclusively nursing in a few weeks.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'm glad Precious mentioned about the cold. You can brestfeed when you are sick and with almost all meds. You could have breastfed with the spinal headache even if you were taking painkillers. Moms with C-sections take pain killers all the time. I realize you had to lay flat and that would have made it more difficult. What I want to stress with going through all the dedication of relactating you may need to avoid bottles or your baby may not take bottles. I breastfed 3 babies over 2 years each and they never had bottles.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010