Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you adopt your sisters child!!

My sister is preg and want be able to raise the baby so she wants to give he or she to my husband and I but I don't know how you go about doing this. I am not dumb I just have never done this. So please don't be rude.
I want/need serious people to answer this. We need to know who to contact and what to do. (thanks in advance)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • Just contact the court in your area. My aunt adopted my other aunts baby and she is 14 now and there have never been any issues. You will need to sign a contract, though. Dont go through an adoption agency because it is expensive. HOWEVER, you may both want to consult lawyers, separately, to make sure youre doing things legally and it is what both of you actually want.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • You need to find out what the adoption laws say, I don't even know if they are federal or if they vary by state. I would go to your local government's website and find the information they have available about adoption, and see how much of it would apply to your situation. Then see if there is a phone number to call, and find out what the first step is. Good luck! Your sister is blessed to have an adoptive mom in her own family!

    Answer by FelipesMom at 2:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • If she is young you may not want to do an adoption. She may be in a position in a few years that she can care for her child and that would be the right thing to do. There are other things you could do so that you could care for the baby like power of attourney. I know that my suck for you because you may love the baby like it's yours but it may be the best thing for the child and your sister.


    Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • a LOT of courts have family court 'consultants" and you can speak with them about it for fairly cheap. Check if your court has one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • Go to the local state adoption agency (or call them). Their lawyers will tell you what needs to be done.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • Hi Its me The poster!

    Thanks so much for the answers so far let me clear up some things.

    My sister is 23 almost 24 and she already has a son that got taken away from her cause she could not care for him. My husband and I cant have anymore children and I told her that before another child gets taken away that my husband and I would adopt it .

    We also live in different states!

    Thank you for your help in advance!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • I am sure if it is uncontested it should be rather 'easy' as far as it goes. You need to contact a family lawyer. They should be able to guide you through the process and help it to go as smoothly as possible.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.