gun laws.....if someone in the house is a felon?

but another person in the house wants a gun could they have one. i know felons can't have own one.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I believe a non-felon can own a gun even if a felon lives in the house. Of course, the gun owner then takes the risk, if the guns are not properly secured, of the felon stealing the gun and using it for illegal purposes. So, I would say, if you do decide to get a gun, make sure you know how to properly lock it up and keep the code a secret from the felon, so that there is absolutely no issue later. Also, your best bet to get an accurate answer on this is to call your local police or sheriff's station and ask them. They will know if you can or not.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• husband and i arguing over this.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• IDK if it makes a difference being married, but my brother was a felon and my dad could still have a gun.. Check with your local laws, though, because I think they vary state to state...
    Anonymous

• i think that varies state to state, but here in ohio, i own several guns legally, and my husband has a felony. i also have a conceal to carry licenses.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• in the state of az that is
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It also depends on the felony. If the convicted crime isn't violent or drug related, the no-weapon rule can be thrown out. The felon would have to petition the court, but from what i've seen, it usually works in their favor.
    Anonymous

• good Q.......... interested in what the final word is on that
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 2:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2010