Looking for interesting and delicious bbq menu ideas...

I got the basics, but I'm looking for something new to add to our usual spread, curious what dishes you love for your summer bbqs....

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 2:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Number one favorite grilled meal is pizza
    Portabello mushrooms
    Pineapple

This is one of my other favorite grilled meals:
    Mushroom, Red Pepper, and Squash Yakitori
    Makes: 12 skewers. Serves: 4 as an entree
    YAKITORI GLAZE:
    2/3 cup low-salt vegetable stock
    1/4 cup sake or apple cider or white grape juice
    3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari or Braggs
    3 tablespoons Mirin or dry sherry or apple cider or white grape juice
    1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
    2 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon water
    20 large white or cremini mushrooms (about 2-inch caps)
    20 l-3/4-by-l-inch rectangular pieces yellow crookneck squash (about 3 medium squash)
    28 1-1/2-inch squares red bell pepper (about 3 large bell peppers)
    1/3 cup vegetable oil for brushing

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I really like bbq chicken, but I switch it up, sometimes its with bbq sauce, sometimes a honey mustard sauce. Steaks naturally, I like to make beer brats on the grill yum! buffalo chicken dip http://www.buffalochickendip.com/ ( I use real chicken, not the canned crap) is a MUST HAVE at all our bbq's it is special requested! I like to make Paula Dean's Lemon Blossoms http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/lemon-blossoms-recipe/index.html. I make fruit skewers, strawberries, banana's, pineapple, and melon and serving a lemon yogurt with a drop of vanilla as a dip for the fruit. Veggie platters. mm cant wait for bbq season!

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Select twelve 10-to 12-inch wooden or metal skewers; if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes and drain before using.
    To make the glaze: Combine the vegetable stock, sake, soy sauce, Mirin, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a medium non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and whisk into the soy mixture. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
    Preheat a grill to medium high or the oven to 450 degrees F.

To assemble: Thread 5 mushrooms, lengthwise (starting with the bottom of each stem), onto each of 4 skewers. Thread 5 pieces of squash onto each of 4 other skewers and thread 7 red pepper pieces onto each of 4 other skewers. Place the kabobs on a baking sheet and brush with the vegetable oil, rotating the kabobs to coat evenly.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Brush liberally with the yakitori glaze a few minutes before the vegetables are ready. (Or, place the skewers on two baking sheets lined with aluminum foil and bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, basting at least twice after about 20 minutes.)
    Remove from the grill or oven and brush vegetables liberally with the glaze. Serve immediately, drizzled with additional glaze.
    Do ahead tips: The yakitori glaze can be made 1 week in advance, the skewers can be assembled 1 day in advance and brushed with oil just before cooking. They can also be cooked as directed 1 day in advance and reheated just before serving

NOTE: I also use onion, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, sweet potatoes, whatever is fresh and on-hand. You can also add tempeh, extra firm tofu, seitan, etc.