Did you know car seats expire?

I know many people do, but there are so many who DON'T know that! I'm amazed at the number of kids who don't even SIT in one to begin with!

What do you ladies think about using expired seats or not using a seat at all?

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes we find out at the hospital when we were bring our daughter home. You need to get a new car seat every 5 years !!!! crazy !!!!
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 3:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Britax makes the Frontier which, I think, is a 9 yr seat. Other than that, it's 5-6 years. I'm saddened by the # of people who sell expired seats on Craigslist and eBay.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I knew they expired but was told that there was a expiration date on the carseat. Nope not any of the 5 I have.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 3:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• There won't be an expiration date. There's usually a manufacture date. Graco usually has it raised from the plastic. Sometimes seats may have it on a sticker somewhere.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Not only ebay and craigslist but Other Mothers had expired car seats, they have a sticker saying when it was first used, I'm like NO the 5 years isn't from the date first bought/used it's from the date manufactured.... those people are idiots.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• and should be replaced if you are in a wreck even if it's just a seemingly small one.
    Anonymous

• I knew they expired. My kids are all still in harnessed carseats.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• More license plate to buy?
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 2:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010