Need support quitting smoking today!!!

So i have been a smoker for 2 years now and have finally decided that today is the day to quit. I have never tried to quit before so im really nervous. I'm a SAHM of a beautiful 2 yr old little girl who is my life and i want to be healthy for her but the craving is so strong i dont know how to make it go away. Please no judging here only supporters.

KaySchock

Asked by KaySchock at 3:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Health

• a straw feels like a cigarette in your mouth....just "take drags" off a straw....it helps the physical part....also when your done stamp it out like you would a cigarette. also keep your hands busy...i crocheted for days.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You gave the best reason to quit~ your little girl. You can do this! I quit 23 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, and haven't gone near a cigarette since! You'll have days when it's a real challenge, but just think about how you'll be setting a good example for your daughter and all the money you'll be saving!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 3:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OMG no way! today is my hubby's quit day! good for you! put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it whenever you get a craving. the brain will make the connection between the pain and the craving, eventually blocking the receptors that notify you of the craving. i quit after 8 years using this technique. it really worked for me! keep in mind that a craving (for anything) passes in 8 seconds. so after that 8 seconds, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT! do whatever you have to do to keep your mind busy. good luck and kudos to you!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• keep busy! when i quit i started to clean more, do laundry, go outside, anything to keep me busy. it sounds weird, but i also bought a pack of the flavored camels that come in a tin, and set it right in my face, so that anytime i could look at it and go do something else, it gave me a huge ego boost.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Chew gum. Use replacement products, don't worry about the cost. It's cheaper than smoking.

Congrats! If it doesn't work this time, keep trying.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• think you guys very much for your support
    KaySchock

Answer by KaySchock at 3:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I agree with the gum, suckers, etc, something to keep your mouth busy. And remember this quote "One is too many and a thousand is never enough." If you start again you will have to go thru everything all over, and don't think you can have just one at a party, or two a day, because it always snowballs until you are regularly smoking again. Believe me, I learned the hard way. I quit for my entire pregnancy and 9months of nursing, had one cigarette at a party and within two weeks I had a pack in my purse and was smoking again. I could have kicked myself! Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2010