Who put the Roman in Roman Catholic?

I hear that term Roman Catholic started out as insult to the Catholic church. I wonder who started it and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's probably more information than you ever wanted to know about the name:

http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb3.htm

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 5:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• idk about that.. i figured the first catholics started in rome... hence roman catholic.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No the very first "Christian" church was the Roman catholic church. Which in truth the RCC still runs Christianity with an iron scepter. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Funny to me I feel evangelism has run Christianity with an iron scepter.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Daphna, the RCC doesn't 'run' my faith. In fact, the pope and the saints etc have no significance to me.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No the very first "Christian" church was the Roman catholic church.

I think it was an Eastern Church, and Roman Catholic was not used until later as away to make fun at the Church. Saying they were not universal just Roman
    Anonymous

• : missbreezy214
    idk about that.. i figured the first catholics started in rome... hence roman catholic.

I think Antioch and Constantinople had a major influence in the start of the church now Rome has the supremacy because of Peter.
    Anonymous

• Yes the term Roman was added to Catholic during the protestant reformation as an insult. Over time it became part of the name but most Catholics do not refer to themselves as Roman Catholic.

Now it is just part of the the name of the Catholic Church. Since many original Catholic followers started breaking off into different branches of Christianity , but still calling themselves Catholic, it became confusing.   Roman Catholic became a way of identifying the Christian Church that the Pope and Catholic Bishops are part of.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It started all the back during the reformation? I didn't know that. Thank you RyansMom001. I ask because older Catholics like my parents use Roman Catholic while younger Catholics like the term Catholics. We have a Byzantine church around here. They agree with the Pope but get upset when called Roman Catholic.
    Anonymous

• Which in truth the RCC still runs Christianity with an iron scepter.

Now that's debatable! ;^)

It's actually called a crosier and Popes stopped using it around the 11th century. Pope Paul VI began using a similar item, a pastoral staff, when he became Pope in 1963. The pastoral staff is topped by a crucifix.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 5:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010