Weghtloss & discouragement...

What do you do, when you've lost 15lbs by extreame diet and exercise, but you get tired, and start craving your favorite foods?? Then you give in...like 3 days in a row...and you find yourself going back to your old habits.

What do you do when you get discouraged, and just want to give up??? I guess I need a pep talk! (because I do not want to give up!)

Longos-wife

Asked by Longos-wife at 3:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Health

• I know the feeling!! I just keep trying hoping it will pay off. I know if I give up I will just have to accept the way I look now, and I'm not ready to do that yet!!
    Anonymous

• i know exactly how you feel. it takes weeks to loose 5 lbs and 1 freakin day to gain it back. it's hard. especially for a SAHM. my like revolves around food. cook, feed, clean, repeat, at least 3 times a day. it's a lot of work to eat different than the kids. you can all eat healthy food, but kids need calories all day long. it's hard to pass on a snack every time you give them one. is there a weight-loss support group on cafemom? i'm going to look. you should, too!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You shouldn't be "extreme" dieting/working out. You need to do something that is consistent and reasonable. One thing that I learned is if you go 3 days "extreme" dieting, then 2 "mild" days and 2 where you BASICALLY eat what you want, you're going to be a LOT LOT LOT more successful. When I said basically eat what you want, don't down an entire pizza, carton of ice cream, and 10 sodas. Have two slices of pizza, a scoop or two of ice cream, and a single soda. Also, keep in mind you should be eating 5-6 small meals a day, high in protien.

Try looking for healthy weight loss group on here. Gymgirl is the admin. they have some GREAT people who can really, really help you out.
    Anonymous

• Just try to keep your focus. what are your goals? Can you hang a pic and your goals on the fridge. allow yourself some foods you like. Don't do a drastic diet that is unrealistic. Can you geta friend to exercise with you so you drag eachother out of the house when you dont want to go? Try to only buy healthy food and buy some skinny cow truffle bars (they are so yummy). Just because you had a 3 day setbackdoes not mean you should give up!!! Keep up the good work. Maybe you are just pushing yourself too hard. Make a menu and buy and prepar ethe foods. Make sure you have simple things that you can make in a pinch. Fruit smoothies are also yummy. Dont give up! set small goals and reward yourself when you reach them.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I would recommend a lifestyle change instead of an extreme diet. Weight Watchers is excellent.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 4:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I went through an entire year like that. Two steps forward and three steps back. It's ok to have slip ups. It's not a diet as much as a change in life style of eating. So it takes time for your body to accept the change. Give yourself permission to screw up. That's why I like the ABS diet (I hate the word diet but that's the name of it). It gives you permission to go off the wagon once a week. I can't go hungry. I would pig out if I did that so I fill up but with steamed vegetables or precooked lobster (or crabmeat). I eat yogurt instead of ice cream now. I eat fresh fruit instead of candy bars. It takes time but I got rid of 50 lbs like that. My sister had to keep me from totally giving up. I'm glad she did.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Don't give up! Keep up the great work you have already done. It might help if you have 1 day where you can eat what ever you want just so you don't go back to old habits.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010