Sounds like this kind of hands-off training should be illegal, right? It isn't. ---> What do you think?

Unschooling: The Ultimate in Lazy Parenting | momlogic.com
www.momlogic.com
Parenting becoming a drag? Some moms and dads are turning over the reins of power to their kids. That means no school, rules or chores. No joke!

http://www.momlogic.com/2010/04/unschooling_the_ultimate_in_lazy_parenting.php

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like ABUSE to me --- and NEGLECT. Sounds ridicules!!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Anonymous

• I read this earlier this morning and thought that either these parents were lazy or stone crazy! I chose to pick both!!!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Wow, thats definitley different lol.
    I thought if you home school the kids still have to pass required state tests. Maybe I was wrong.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I watched it on tv today. No I don't think it should be illegal. People were unschooling their children since history began. They will be fine. They have parents who care and take an interest in what they do. They travel together and learn as they go. I think these kids will do better than some who get a traditional education and have parents who don't care and end up on drugs or in prison.
    Anonymous

• It's NOT lazy. It's a very intensive way to parent. We did it. Two of my children got honors GEDs and all 3 went to college. The youngest had developmental delays and only has an IQ of 80. The children's hospital he used to go to for therapy thought he would never read. He is 21 and in college.

Unschooling doesn't mean you don't do anything. It means you integrate learning into everyday life. I have 2 Master's degrees in education and have completed all my coursework for a doctorate in education.

In general, colleges are very excited about homeschooled kids. My kids got accepted by every college they applied to. One of my sons got accepted right into the Purdue nursing program at 17 and was a RN at 20. By the time he was 22 he was making $50 an hour.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• What parents have to do for schooling depends on the state. We lived in Indiana when my kids were school age and all you had to do was keep attendance. They graduated when you decided they were done and it is equal to a high school diploma. In Indiana they don't have to take the GED. Colleges can't make them take it. It's easier if they do take it.

My youngest son could never pass the math section of the GED. He was able to get into college in AZ easily. He had to take placement tests at the college and he did ok on that math test and great and the reading and and other tests.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I dont think its wrong.. It is just different.. I think its rare the kids are learning absolutely nothing.. If a parent was that uncaring they would send the kid to school, at least the child would be out of their hair for 6-6hrs a day 5x a week..

Anytime you have a child at home 24/7 as in homeschooling/ un-schooling it takes a large toll on the parent.. Alot of parents these days "cant" handle their child as babies/kids so they send them to daycares...
    Anonymous

• oops accidentally posted anon.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• lol I was unschooled. I hardly think my parents were lazy. lol I had my poor parents running all over the state. We were Homeschooled until high school and in 9th grade we could choose 1) homeschool 2) public school 3) unschool
    4 ) correspondence school. out of my 4 siblings and I, 1 dropped out ( ended up getting a GED to join the Army), 3 did correspondence and I unschooled. I went to trade school in Florida and college in Wyoming ( gpa 3.4 but don't tell my siblings they are all 3.9 & 4.0 and I don't want to hear about it.lol )
    I honestly think that those parents are doing their children a disservice. Kids need to know the basics and how to deal with things they may not like. Rules are part of life and everyone should have rules, chores and responsiblities.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2010