18month old still waking during the night

my daughter is almost 18 months old and still wakes up thru the night at least twice... i leave her in there and let her cry for a few but she just gets louder and doesnt go back to sleep... unless i go in there and pat her back or rock her for a few mins... why is she still waking up? and what can i do to get her to sleep better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure how to help you because I'm in the same situation! My DD is almost 17 months, and had been sleeping through the night since 1 month old, but since she was 15 months old, she has been waking up in the middle of the night! Its driving me crazy! She won't go back to sleep unless I am with her, so we usually put her in bed with us when she wakes up, and we all go back to sleep!

Anyhow, sorry I can't help, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone!
    Anonymous

• I'm not one to talk because I only let my son cry at the MOST for 5mins if he ever wakes up during the night, but that's because he hardly ever wakes up, so I assume something else is wrong.

Considering your daughter's age & that she does this every night, you should have stopped getting her a while ago. :/ I know it's hard & it hurts to hear them like that, but you've let it get to the point where it's going to be even harder. You're going to have to let her cry it out. If she's not sick, fed, was changed before being put down, not teething, & just upset & WANTS you, let her cry it out.

The longest I would say is 30mins & honestly the first few times I bet she'll use that time up because she's used to her crying & you coming. It WILL get easier though & it'll make things so much easier for both of you.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My first woke at least once per night until he was 3. Some kids are just that way. Mine always needed something specific (blanket fell off, teddy bear missing, couldn't find his his pacifier) He was really easy to get settled back in so it never really bothered me. He figured it out eventually and yours will too.
    Anonymous

• In response to ANON 5:22 & to OP - your child would have learned to NOT throw their blanket/teddy out of the crib much sooner if you would have given them a chance. You said it didn't bug you waking up each night, but it's not necessarily always a bad thing to allow them to figure out things on their own. Some amount of independence is only healthy for a child. I'm not saying I don't enjoy my son needing me for things, but there are things he can do himself & I'm always going to encourage that. :] Children need parents to teach them, but it would also be beneficial for them to understand the fact that they can do things on their own or figure things out on their own as well.
    ours

Answer by ours at 8:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010