For those that have had to put your child in daycare:

Any suggestions on how to feel ok doing this? I currently work part time but really have to go back to full time and will have to put my son in daycare, something I really don't want to do but I can't afford a nanny at my house either. So any helpful comments would be appreciated (if you aren't going to be polite do not bother posting).

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I work for a child care resource and referral agency, PM me and I will give you lots of info
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I bawled my eyes out the first day my DD was in day care. I took her and she cried all day, then when I got home she cried all night. I called my mom and told her I was going to quit my job. Day two wasn't any better. Day three she didn't cry the entire day.. and by the end of the week she was actually ok with it.

How old is he?
    Anonymous

• to Anon 3:52pm my son just turned 9 months and I have child care over the summer so he'll be 13 - 14 months old when he first has to go to day care
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I had to put my kids in daycare part time when they were babies...with my first I was devastated, I cried for a month before she had to go. The first day was very hard, but it got easier and easier, then I saw how freaking great the place was for her and how beneficial it was to both her and me to have time apart. By the time my second came along I happily handed him over, lol. I know its not exactly the same because I only had to do it 2 or 3 days a week, but still... they both ended up loving it, making friends, learning all sorts of things, parties, crafts, field trips as they got older, etc... My daughter was just screened for kindergarten and they said did *very* well with her numbers, letters, etc...while I would like to chalk that up to my great mothering, lol, I know that her daycare/preschool is behind that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• awe! i'm sorry. i can't give you any advise sense (thank God) i've never had to do this. but i'm sure as long as you're doing what's in the best interest of your family, everything will be fine. ((hugs))

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• He'll be older and it will probably be very hard for the first week or so, but check with the day care and find out if they'll allow you to bring his favorite blanket or toy for the first few days, to help him be more comfortable. If you can, go a few times before you have to take him full time, with him, and let him see what goes on there (it will give you a sense of security as well). Get him really hyped up about it for a few weeks prior to going full time, tell him about all of the great new friends he is going to have, and about how the person who is going to watch him is so great, etc. I know it sounds lame, but if he is looking forward to it, it will be easier. And he will understand at 13-14 months.

And for you, don't hesitate to call and check in on him. If they don't allow it, you really shouldn't be taking him there! :-)

Good luck, it will all be fine
    Anonymous

• Try to approach this in a positive way. It's not an easy thing to do, especially at first, but if you look at the positives you will feel better about it and so will your child. Your child will have a harder time adjusting to daycare at 13 or 14 months than he would have as an infant, so the adjustment may take some time for him. He'll be old enough to understand some of the things you tell him about it, and definitely old enough to read your attitude. Try to talk it up and tell him about the fun things he'll be doing, the new toys he'll get to play with, and the firends he will make (don't expect him to really make friends at this age, but he will enjoy seeing the other children and playing along beside them). Take him by the daycre before he will actually start going there, show him all the cool toys, and intrioduce him to his teacher/caregiver. - continued
    Anonymous

• My daughter has been in full-time daycare since she was 10 weeks old! She is now over 1 and she LOVES it. She has lots of friends and by now, the daycare ladies are like her own family members. She has a great time playing and she is very social compared to some babies her age who have never been to daycare. I'm not saying it's better for them socially, just that I have seen the positive effects it has had on her development. It's a pricey place but it's been well worth it. It is run like a real school, so there are lots of family type activities and events that we have to contribute to. It is giving us a lot of practice on what it will be like to be involved when she goes to real school. They paint, have themed weeks, etc. And she's been doing stuff like that since she was a newborn! We love it and by now we are all in a routine that everyone is used to. Everyone will adjust and he will have a good time.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I will add that all the other kids seem to love it, too. I have never seen one of the kids in her 'class' upset at being left in the morning and I have dropped her off every morning for a year! Most of them have been there since they were very very young. Just yesterday another 1 year old in her class who got dropped off ran up to one of the workers and shrieked and hugged her he was so happy to be there! I don't know how normal that is, but the kids cleary enjoy it very much.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Make time to talk to his teacher at drop off or pick up time for a few minutes so you can find out what he is doing and how he's adjusting; she might be able to give you some tips to help make drop off easier, and you might be able to give her some tips about what things work well for your child. If you establish a good relationship with his teacher you will feel much better about leaving him in her care. An experienced teacher should know that it will take a while for you to feel comfortable with the situyation, and she should make time to talk with you as much as you need, especially in the first week or two. After a while you'll notice your son is excvited to get there and you'll notice he knows things that you did not teach him, so you'll know he is happy and he is learning.

It will be hard at first, but it will get better.
    Anonymous