Acetone in urine??

Anyone know anything about acetone in urine?? I read it has something to do with a type of ketone??? Not too sure. They found that in my sons urine, he is 22 months old. Any info would be great! THANKS!

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 3:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• A positive test may indicate:

Abnormal nutritional conditions
    Anorexia
    Fasting
    High protein or low carbohydrate diets
    Starvation
    Disorders of increased metabolism
    Acute or severe illness
    Burns
    Fever
    Hyperthyroidism
    Nursing a baby (lactation)
    Post-surgical condition
    Pregnancy
    Metabolic abnormalities, including uncontrolled diabetes or glycogen storage disease
    Vomiting frequently over a long period of time

We deal with ketones in the urine from time to time because my daughter has diabetes. Although I know that kids can get ketones when they're sick even if they aren't diabetic, so I guess I would ask why were they checking? Was he sick or osmething?
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 4:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• They were checking b/c we took him into the ER because at home his sugar was 47 and an hour after eating it shot up to 288 and in the ER it was still high at 183. He is now getting tested and looked at for diabetes so today when we saw his pedi they asked if the ER had told us they found acetone in his urine and of course ER didn't even mention it. They told us that it is found in patients who have diabetes sooooooo it could be a sign he may. Or at least something is going on.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 12:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Been there. Like I said my daughter is diabetic. The ER sucks at taking care of diabetics. We can talk if you need any further info from someone who's been there. I would guess that since it shot up to 288 that diabetes is a very real possibility.

So, what are they doing to check on this? For our daughter it was obvious because we didn't get any early warning signs and what we did get the pedi said it was a virus. Once they figured it out (and she was almost in a coma) they ran an a1c and a GAD test which checks for antibodies in the blood. Not all diabetics have them. mine did.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well today we went to his pedi and they are concerned. They asked if we had ever had suspicions of diabetes before and we told her yes, in fact 2 weeks ago we had brought this up to his normal pediatrician but they dismissed it cuz his weight seems to stay steady. But now after this they are acknowledging (sp?) there is an issue of some sort. He is getting a metabolic panel done, and one other (can't remember, lol), and an A1c all taken tomorrow morning----fasting of course. They also are sending us to an endocrinologist as well. I am waitiing to set up an appt. I called today but they called me back at work so I will call them again tomorrow morning and get him in ASAP.

Thank you for answering all this for me. I really appreciate all your knowledge! Also, did your daughter lose weight? that seems to be the ONLY symptom he does NOT have. But he eats ALL DAY NON STOP!!!! I think that is why he doesn't lose weight!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Also, the pedi was real annoyed with the way ther ER handled things...............or more how they didn't handle it..................but they said if he is acting lethargic and shaky like this last time which led me to check his sugar originally to take him back to ER. But we just pray that he doesn't til we see the endo.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My daughter did lose weight but not until she was really really sick. The two weeks before diagnosis she just seemed to have a bug of some sort. Had her at the pedi three times that two weeks. Finally the last week she dropped about 5 pounds which on a 25 or 30 pound body is a lot.

BUT her blood sugar at diagnosis was 616 and she was in diabetic ketoacidosis which happens when large ketones are present and nothing is done about it. Her Ph level was almost incompatible with life, so she was very sick.

It sounds like what ever it is (I'd bet it is diabetes) it sounds like you're catching it early. Hers set in so fast. Also, don't let people tell you that because he goes low that he is hypoglycemic because a "normal" persons blood sugar should never get to 288. However, with the pancreas still functioning it may spit out a ton on insulin dropping is quickly. If he is diabetic this will happen for and is call the honeymoon.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• So it's possible for him to be in a honeymoon phase BEFORE being officially diagnosed w/ diabetes? Everything I could find w/ info on this talked about it happening shortly AFTER diagnosis.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Sounds like diabetes. Has he been to a nephrologist?

GL
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Not a nephrologist but he is being referred to an endocrinologist. He goes this Friday to see them.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• So we called the pedi to find out what the level of the acetone in his urine was and they said they didn't get a lvl they just said it was positive. Does anyone know what the lvl would have to be at to be considered positive on the test?
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2010