Can you plant a popcorn kernel? After you've made popcorn... My kids asked me this question I wasn't sure... lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, the heat from the popping process would have killed the embryo inside the seed. In fact, the processing at the popcorn plant probably did that. If you just had an ear of corn that you dried to make popcorn with you could plant that, but the way the kernels are processed (with heat, chemicals, flavors, etc) probably kills it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No but I would let them plant it in a plastic cup with dirt and see what happens. Great learning experience for them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No. There are particular types of corn,called seed corn that is grown for only the purpose of growing more corn.
    Shrug
    Anonymous

• YES... and in about a week, after they go to bed, put a stick in the ground with bags of microwave popcorn taped to the branches.

I am a firm beliver in magic. Kids need to have a fun childhood and get little surprises around each corner. I think it would be a memory they tell their kids about.

Go be creative and have fun with this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I hope so........... I'd love to have a Jiffy Pop tree!
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 1:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

Go be creative and have fun with this.

That would be fun but mine would actually believe and skip the imagination part. Hubby would get a kick out of it.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• yep we've done it, and the popcorn grows very fast.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010