Do you let male 'workers' in your house when you're home alone?

Some time ago, on the way to work my car battery died and I had to call AAA to my house. My husband was already gone to work and it was just me and my 6 mos. old. The AAA guy had to fill out some paperwork and asked if he could come in. I let him, but after he left, immediately regretted it. What if he was a psycho-killer! Do you let workers in your house when you're alone? I mean, I guess if it's household repairs but even then I try to schedule them when my husband can be home!

danielp

Asked by danielp at 4:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't let anybody in my house, not even women, when I am alone. I refuse to open the door at all unless I'm expecting somebody.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I just let the guy who repaired my washing machine in and I was alone. Yes it happens that psyco-killers are out there. But if I had a "weird" feeling I wouldn't have.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Uh, yea. Psycho killers are the vast minority. No use in living your life as though they are the majority.
    Also, it ticks me off when my mil locks our house door when she's alone watching our 6 month old son. Just a little quirk. She doesn't lock her door but she must think our neighborhood is full of loose cannons that are going to come in and beat her, and take the pets and baby. Weird. If she doesn't do it at her house, why do it at our house? The likelihood of her being killed at her house, due to the unpopulated location is greater than our place which is a middle class condo complex. Whatever. I would call my husband and give him the info on the worker OR call the company to confirm the name and time of arrival to be sure.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 4:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I had done that once when I was first married and I know that sick feeling when you realise the position you just put yourself in. I waited at the front door til they left and have never done it again. I also hate when a parcel is being delivered and you have to come out to sign for it.. just too vulnerable
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I do... it's them that better watch out for me! LOL
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think it depends on where you live, how visible your home is, we have 3 daughters now and I'm trying to teach safe habits - not paranoid but safe
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes - it doesn't bother me. I've taken numerous self defense courses and feel like I could get myself and my kids out of most situations. Most reputable companies do background checks on employees that are going into people's homes - and we don't hire people off the street.

Answer by missanc at 4:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I have quite a few times; otherwise nothing would ever get done.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes, I do. If I waited until they could come when my husband was home nothing would ever get fixed! I feel perfectly safe letting them in. My neighbor is pretty protective of us and he keeps an eye on cars driving on our street (it's a dead end with only our house and theirs) and he is a retired policeman and knows karate. lol If some random repairman stopped by my house when I wasn't expecting one, then I would be worried and wouldn't let them in and would call the police.
    Anonymous

• I try to make sure my DH is always there. I don't feel comfortable letting strangers into my home alone. All killers,rapist have their first victim and aren't always caught or even recognized. Even if someone has no record if I don't know them I assume they could be a possible threat and have my stun gun and mace in one pocket and my gun hidden and ready to go.
    Anonymous