Co-Sleeping but it's time to change.

My son has been sleeping by my side since birth. He is 6 months old now and I want to put him in his room. How can I go about doing this? He sleeps just fine away from anyone when he is at my moms for the night or the babysitters during the day.

Should I try CIO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just put him to sleep and lay him down.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It may take a wk or so, but just lay him down in his own bed (before he falls asleep) at his normal bedtime. He will probably be upset and cry. At that age he should be able to self soothe or at least start to learn how. It's harder for you than it is for him. I had to do this with my son too. Good luck!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If you work co-sleeping allows you and your baby extra time together and closeness. It's normal for babies to sleep with their mothers and it's hardwired in their brains. The long-term consequences of CIO and forcing children to sleep alone is unknown. I would never let a child CIO. When I take care of my grandbaby when his mother works I hold him the whole time he naps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If you cannot handle CIO...many moms cannot because it goes against the gut...check out The No Cry Sleep Solution instead. Also, great method on drjaygordon.com...search that site for "sleep."

Answer by gdiamante at 5:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i regretted co- sleeping with my son. and rocking him to sleep. he has trouble getting himself to sleep at night now that he is older and sleeps in his own bed.
    Anonymous

• Uhhh... you can't just do it suddenly.. you could do CIO, but, it might not work and you might just end up with trouble down the road.

He sleeps "fine" elsewhere, how do THEY get the baby to go to sleep?

Do you nurse your baby to sleep? Maybe it's just an association with nursing.. You could VERY SLOWLY wean baby from nursing to sleep but most people don't even get close to attempting that until the baby is a year old....

Seriously? I freaking wonder sometimes why people have kids. They want kids but don't want to do normal things like wake up in the night with them.

If you're done co-sleeping fine, but, you gotta do it gently .. slowly.. nicely...

If you're tired of constant night nursing get a co-sleep crib. Start out with baby falling asleep like usual. Then move baby into the co-sleep crib. You cannot expect a 6 month old to understand ANYTHING.. kids don't understand much until about 18 months.
    Anonymous

• I mean if this was a question about a baby that's 12-18 months I'd tell you a lot of things.

But a 6 month old has not even been on this earth for a year yet. They have no grasp what-so-ever of why you'd leave them with people or why you'd not want to be close to them anymore. You're setting your baby up for independence by nurturing your baby. There's no reason to stop co-sleeping unless it's driving you insane. In which case, like I said, a co-sleep crib.

Research shows time and time again that babies that are nurtured heavily are smarter, more empathetic, and more independent people..

It's usually people that get "tired" of babies being babies that end up with issues.
    Anonymous

• I've never needed to let my children CIO to sleep in their own crib, and I always start out cosleeping. You just slowly transition. I start with a basinett or pack n play beside the bed and put baby in there. Then I move them to their own crib when I think they're ready for the transition. I usually nurse them in the glider in the living room watching tv so I don't fall asleep, and then lay them back in their crib.

I don't practice self-soothing, I believe that babies are designed to need to be comforted and soothed to sleep. Once they reach toddler hood that's a different matter and you can slowly help them learn to self-soothe, but I don't think that CIO is necessary for children to learn how to sleep on their own.

You can check out the "no-cry sleep solution" if self-soothing is something that is important to you and you don't want to do CIO. Or you can soothe them to sleep and lay them down in the crib.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010