Would you hire a real state agent to look for a new rent-apartment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We have a real estate agent in each of the towns where we have rental properties. The agents find the leasees, draw up the contracts and arrange the payment routing (EFT). One of them also serves as our property manager/overseer (we pay her an annual fee) as it is a vacation property.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If I had money but not time I might.
    Anonymous

• Most RE agents won't do rentals, but when they do they usually get their pay from the landlord. Buyers don't pay commission. If you do hire someone to find a rental for you, make sure you know exactly what you are signing before you sign. A lot of times RE agents will have you sign an exclusivity agreement that will bind you to pay them in certain circumstances. Make sure you know your professional agreements.

Anonymous

• To look for one? As in going place to place? I don't know that yu'll find it anyway.

There are agents who handle rentals for their clients. We rented a place years ago through a real estate agency. We found it on our own and had to go to the agency to sign the rental agreement, and then the agency took our check every month. I have to say,. it was much nicer than dealing directly with the landlord as we had in our previous place. THAT guy was a NUT and we actually abandoned our deposit rather than have to give forwarding information to him.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Most RE agents won't do rentals,

I currently have about 22 real estate agents as clients and they ALL deal in rentals. We are military and have had to look for houses to possibly rent when we PCS and always have called a licensed agent. In our current locale~the leasee's real Estate agents receive 1st month rent (from property owner) as compensation and the property mgt company received a % of monthly rent. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If I lived in a big city like NYC or LA I would hire someone to find appartments that fit my criteria for me. Sometimes good properties to rent can be competitive, hard to find, and don't stay open long.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• We have a real estate agent in each of the towns where we have rental properties. The agents find the leasees, draw up the contracts and arrange the payment routing (EFT).

This^
    We have also used these services when we've been relocated and involved in lease situations.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2010