When should my son start drinking out of a cup without a lid?

I ask because I've seen toddlers still drinking out of a bottle & preschoolers with sippy cups so I'm not sure when is most common for kids to be ABLE to drink without a lid on their cups? My son can do okay with a small amount of water out of a cup without a lid, but he still has trouble with not spilling it if there's too much more in it. I'll keep trying every once in a while so he gets the practice, but usually I can google something like "time to switch to normal cup" & get a general age range, but I didn't find much of anything.

When were your kids able to drink around 6oz of milk without the lid? He's 16mos & is down to only 2 6oz of milk a day, then as much water as he wants. He gets any other dairy he needs from food.

ours

Asked by ours at 4:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started with water at about 2 years. She will be 3 next month and still doesn't have the attention span to keep from spilling juice if she's watching tv so she can only have a strawless cup in the kitchen for anything other than water.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My daughter was about a year when she could handle a cup without a lid while seated at the table or in a high chair. You really don't have to use sippy cups but they are convenient for helping to prevent spills.
    Anonymous

• That is a good question. I still use a lid on my cups. :( I have a dribbling problem.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 5:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• One thing I did was put about a tablespoon of water at a time in a cup without a lid. When she was able to handle that without spilling, I put a little more water in at a time and kept doing this till she got the hang of it.
    Anonymous

• I give my 2 yr old about 4oz in a reg cup. Its a toddler cup which is just wider and easier to hold and its not super tall. My older two kids were about 2. By 2 I like them to have a reg cup with all meals. My middle child use to just dump it though! grrrr She liked how it looked ging all over the table! My 24mos old does awesome:)
    Anonymous

• Mine were on sippies at home till they were bout 5. They drank out of my cups with me holding it if we were out and eventually started on their own..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2010