What do you think of this statement?

"I know of no safe depositor of the ultimate powers of [a] society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power."

--Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Brill and I think the tea partys are a great example of trying to educate Americans and our forefathers would be proud.
    Anonymous

• Thomas Jefferson personifies the US. I have great regard for the sacrifices made by He and John Adams to form this country. The respect is gone from society today.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• HERE! HERE!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Honestly I need that quote in simple paraphrased english... sorry I didnt understand it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Shane -- try this.............The best place to put the greatest power of any society is in the people. And if we think the people aren't smart enough to know what to do with that power, the answer is not to take the power from them, but to educate them instead. Education is the real solution to end government abuses.

We need to educate our selves and our children and our friends & neighbors as to what the Constitution really means! Our government is doing so much today that I feel is unconstitutional. And it is not just THIS admin, either. It has been going on for decades.

I take it the libs don't like it, or are the words too big for them? (no offense, shaneagle!!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Absolutely agree!!!!!!!!!! Our Gov. has taken the stance that we cannot function w/o them. The truth is the opposite and we are always left to clean up the mess
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 1:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2010