Would you call to report animal abuse on these people or let it go?

While taking DS for a walk we say a very mangey looking dog. Ive seen him quite a few times and he even stayed aroound my house for a few days last summer. I never let him in because IDK his history, but I did leave food and water for him while he was in my yard. Anyways, the dog looks 10 times worse than he did a few days ago. All the fur on his backside is gone and it looks as though his intestines are bulging out. The outline of them is seriously fatter than the dog. His anus in bulging and sagging as well. My son tried taking him home but I wouldnt let him (I dont want the risk of it biting him or getting my dogs sick). We went back after seeing him to give him a bowl of water and he was rolling in the middle of the road. As I went to give him the water a car came by and started yelling at dog to come home. Now that I know hes not homeless I feel like I should take action because its obvious this dog is not taken care of.

ericalyne

Asked by ericalyne at 5:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• IDK, I would probably leave it alone.
    Anonymous

• Hmm... I think I might. That's really sad!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I would probably make an anonymous phone call, do you know where the people live? That would break my heart....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• PLEASE Call Your Local Dog Warden(Animals Can Not Speak for themselves we MUST do it for them) They Will Know What To Do To Help This Animal Or To Find Out From The Owner If There Is Some Underlying Condition For Why The The Dog Is In Such Bad Sounding Shape Or if The Owners are just down right neglecting the dog. G/L
    Anonymous

• I would. It sounds like that dog has some major medical issues and needs to just be put down because it's suffering BIG time.
    Anonymous

• Before I knew he had a home I was going to call the shelter but apparently they closed the one in my area down. My Dh doesnt want me to call because he's afraid that they will come and mess with our dogs since they saw me. But they dont know where I live..it's 3 streets away! I think I am going to take a picture of it if I see him again tomorrow and show my friend who is a vet.
    ericalyne

Answer by ericalyne at 5:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It's hard to say, when you don't know the whole story. When I was growing up, we had a dog that had serious allergies. We brought him to the vet many times, and would regularly put the medicated lotion on him, but he still looked horrible. His hair would fall out, and he would get sores. Eventually we did have to put him down, but we tried everything we could to help him first. The owners may be trying to treat his condition, you never know unless you ask.
    Anonymous

• If you want someone totally random to call, I might do it for you.... That way your DH won't be upset and they can't come after you....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i would deffinaetly call somone no animal should be treated like that
    brittanyewheat

Answer by brittanyewheat at 11:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• For God's sake, call the Humane society.............do you need a typed memo from the dog asking for help?
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 12:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010