If you 16 year old told you they were pregnant what would you do?

My parents have always said they would kick me out so I was always really careful. Well I am. DO you think they will really throw me out? Can you throw a 16 year old out? I mean I can't go anywhere else until I'm 18 right?

ClaireWithChild

Asked by ClaireWithChild at 5:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm so sorry you are faced with not only getting pregnant at 16, but with a-hole parents. I'm not sure if its legal or not for them to kick you out, but damn. Its no surprise that parents as unloving as that would raise a child who ends up pregnant. Just sayin.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean you were real careful???

I'm sorry, too.... Do some research. I'm not sure about this, but I think if I were in your shoes, I'd probably want to get out before I give them a chance to kick me out. That's not advice.... just how I would feel! Hope you find a place and wishing you the best.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I mean my mom started me on birth control when I was 13 for regulation. I started having sex at 14 but I was on birthcontrol and I always used a condom except with this boy friend because he is allergic to the stuff in condoms but sinc eI was on birth control I wasn't to worried. We have been having sex ofr the past 3 months I guess it wsa just a fluke. I was using what I was suppossed to to prevent this.
    ClaireWithChild

Answer by ClaireWithChild at 5:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Depends on the state you live in and what the laws are there
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 5:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• how far along are you have you been to the doc or just did a home test?
    Anonymous

• I guess I am about 2 weeks? That's how late I am. I did a home test a couple of days ago. I haven't been to the doctor or anything yet. I'm still thinking about just getting abortion and not telling my parents at all.
    ClaireWithChild

Answer by ClaireWithChild at 5:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I don't think that's what I want though
    ClaireWithChild

• If you're 2 weeks late that makes you about 6 weeks pregnant.

It's illegal in most states to do that until 18. If they do, though, you don't have anywhere else you can go? Friends, family, your boyfriend's house? If you really have nowhere else to go you can seek a women's shelter. You should have a crisis pregnancy center in your area. Call a doctor's office and ask for their number (any OB will have it). The crisis centers usually have a place you can stay lined up for these types of situations.

You can call your local police department and ask if it's legal for your parents to kick you out. Just google "[city and state] police department" and their number and website will pop up.

You can also wait to tell them until you're sure the pregnancy will stick. 20% end in miscarriage before 12 weeks, unfortunately.

You can PM me if you wanna talk or anything. I'm really sorry you're going through this.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Dont have the abortion just b/c your scared to tell your parents does the babies father know??
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry you are going through this and you're very smart to sign onto this site for advice.... I feel bad your parents said that to you so I'm wondering if you should take another test to be certain, most schools offer pregnancy tests along with condoms etc. Then go to the schools counselor at school, they can also offer info on adoptions and legal issues such as your parents legal rights til you are 18. Don't decide on abortion til you get counseling and talk to your parents and his.... they need to know and hopefully they will support your decision. PM me if you need someone to talk to. I have a 16 yo boy and a 14 yo girl and I'd never throw them out. I'd be very very disappointed but I'm their parent and we all have to live with the consequences.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010