Are childless teachers better than family teachers?

I'm asking this because I think that It wouldn't matter if the teacher was single, divorce, with one child, with multiple children, but some might think that any of these factosr influence the way of teaching?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in

• I am a teacher and I think it TOTALLY changes the way a teacher teaches!

Good and bad...lol. I do feel like if you are not a parent you have a harder time understanding how a parent feels during different situations!

I know my dd has made me a MUCH more patient and understanding teacher. She has mild autism and it has caused me to slow down and think before I jump to a conclusion or blame someone for a childs behavior or actions.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it changes how teachers teach but I do think childless teachers have a hard time understanding when parents are upset over their children. If you don't have children it's hard to understand all the feelings that parents have when they are told their child is misbehaving or may have a learning disability. My DH is a Vice principal and he is constalntly on the phone with parents telling them things that they don't always want to hear about their kids. Now that he is a parent, he can relate to them more.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• yes...ive become a total different person since my baby's birth...more calm,more compasionate more understanding over all of children.how can it be any different in a teacher
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Having kids makes me a more patient teacher than I was before.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I know teachers that have kids that are horrible and have no business being a teacher. I know single teachers that are amazing teachers. I don't think it matters one bit. Some people are meant to be teachers and some aren't and it has nothing to do with marital status.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010