does my boss have the right to be a bitch to me just because i want to leave work at my scheduled time? does she have the right to hold me hostage at work until SHE says its okay for me to leave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• do you work by the hour???
    Anonymous

• Legally no. It would be overtime. And you need to get paid for it.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 5:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Bit*hing? No Making you stay if you are needed? Maybe You could call the Wage and Hour Board and ask the experts

Answer by admckenzie at 5:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i'm a server and the management sucks! They never have enough people scheduled to come in on time when its time for me to go. I do have a life outside of work and they don't seem to understand that. I need to pick up my kid on time and like today i needed to get my child to the doctors appt. but my manager was trying to keep me because she did not schedule anybody to take my place. When i told her i HAD TO GO because i could not reschedule this appt she snapped on me and told me "fine, just go, from now on i'm gonna schedule you from 7am till 11 and you wont make any money and you can leave on time..obviously you have more important things going on because you never want to be here and i don't care to hear about your social life"
    Anonymous

• Unless she is also the owner, I would go above her and complain about this to her boss. What she is doing is unfair and unacceptable.
    Anonymous

• Depending on how your job is set up, she may have the right to do so. I had a job where everyone's schedule was tenetive and yes they could tell you to stay over. In PA you have to work more than 40 hrs a week to be overtime, long days are not overtime unless you are beyond 40 hrs a week.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I agree with CorrinaWinthrow.

I put myself through college waiting tables. My schedule was usually 5 - till...the till could have 9 or it could have been 11 depending on how busy they were. It is hard to schedule server help..especially in this economy!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I would suggest have a talk with your boss. BE NICE. Ask her what can be worked out so her needs are met while still meeting yours. It might be something as simple as setting you schedule a little longer than usual with the understanding you may leave early as opposed to staying late. She would have the coverage she needs when she needs it and you would have a more predictable schedule. You of course would have to realize that just because it says "5-10" you aren't guaranteed "5-10".

Approach her nicely and make the focus on her need..butter works great with difficult people..plus it will make you look good.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have talked to my boss. I have tried explaining my situation to her. I told her i don't mind staying and helping and working over on certain days. There are days though that i NEED to leave on time and she knows my reasoning. She isnt doing anything about it though. Sometimes i feel like she holds me there on purpose just because she knows i'm anxious to leave because i have stuff i need to do. I've already called HR and am expecting a call back. I just hope that its not going to far. This has been going on though for such a long time and i'm just tired of it.
    Anonymous

• If staying late on occasion is a job requirement, then the answer is yes.

It sounds like it is time to start a job search. Contact me offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2010