Is it normal for a toddler to be whiny all the time?

My son will be two in just a few weeks and every single time something doesn't go his way or he doesn't get what he wants to will throw a tantrum or at least complain really loudly. I know he could probably use more sleep. Is anyone else going through this?

mommyofJames512

Asked by mommyofJames512 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly it depends on their personality. my first son was not a weenie whiner and still isn't. the second one made up for it!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Isn't that the definition of a toddler?
    Anonymous

• Lol. Good point!
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• YES!! It's awful sometimes! My son turned 2 at the beginning of March. It has progressively gotten worse over the last few mths. I try to just ignore him when he acts like that!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• haha, well I hope so. My 1.5 yr. old is constantly whining and throwing tantrums. Then again, she has been whiney since birth!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I don't think its normal to be whiny all the time.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Mine is whiny almost all the time. Toddlers are going through a lot. They are teething, learning how to communicate and constantly readjusting their schedule. It takes time, patience and ignoring of the tantrum to make them go away. I wish you all the luck!
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My son is only 16mos & if something doesn't go his way or I tell him no to one of the main things he KNOWS he's not supposed to do (get in the trash, go in the dog's water bowl, throw things, hit people, etc...) he'll make sure I'm looking & push his head into the ground while trying REALLYYYY hard to get upset. It's obvious he just wants my attention since he got in trouble, but he eventually loses interest & stops. It has really helps. I'm honestly surprised by how quickly he's learning that throwing a tantrum or doing things that make mommy & daddy say "no" is not going to be good for him. He has already learned to be nice to our animals instead of hitting & has taken full advantage of how cute we think him saying, "pleeeeease" is :]

Just be consistent. I give my son reassurance when he does something right, but there is no way he's getting my attention for throwing tantrums when HE does something wrong.
    ours

Answer by ours at 8:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yeah, they can be whiny, but is he getting what he wants when he whines? That will just make it worse. My son has to tell me with words what he wants. He's more of a pouter when he doesn't get his way.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2010