Who decides what a child calls their grandparents?? Parents or grandparents?

My son is 10 months old, I know he can't talk yet and before he was born my husband and I decided they would call them grandma and grandpa.. Well my in laws say I have no say in what my son calls them.. I say I do since I'm the one teaching them the langauge. Im very old fashioned. My inlaws want to be called mems and pops..

My husband called his grandparents that too.. I on the other hand call mine who aren't alive- grandma and grandpa...

My inlaws have never liked me from the very beginning. My husband says to me that he now doesn't see the big deal since it makes his parents happy.. As he is always taking their side... What are you thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think everyone should agree on what they are too be called.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I told my youngest DD that I want to be called grandma louise. The grand kids have 2 set of grandparent.

Answer by louise2 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• does it really matter? i believe its up to the kid really,,,but i dont really see this as an issue.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Both sets of grandparents decided what they wanted to be called. It's kinda like you wanting to be called mom or momma or mommy or by your first name. You prefer one over the other. Since it will be their name I think they should decide. Personally I would hate being called grandma. My kids call my mom gammy.  She hates grandma/mother.  I know one lady who refused anything 'grand' related because it sounded old and had her grand kids call her precious.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• why not let the baby decide? when referring to them in the presents of your child, call them grandmother and grandfather, and then let him decide what (if any) nicknames he will assign them. i'm a little confused about why you care in the first place. this is between the child and his grandparents. just because he calls the "mems and pops" doesn't mean you have to.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I also, don't see what the big deal is... My son has a Granny, a Grammy, a MawMaw.... I agree with busy, it's really up to the child.... Is there a problem with mems and pops? If so, maybe you all (all four of you) could agree on names.... Grandma & Grandpa, Gran & Grumps, MawMaw & Papaw, Mems & pops, whatever
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 6:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Unless his parents want to be called something derogatory, then I really don't see it as a problem. Grandparents are usually consulted in what they want to be called, but when the grandkids start talking it often morphs into something else. Not all grandparents want to be called grandma and grandpa, plus if you have your child call both sets of grandparents grandma and grandpa then it will be confusing.  It sounds like his parents want names that are special in his family, and that makes a lot of sense; grandma and grandpa may seem too generic to them, and therefore not special and unique.  I would let them be called whatever they like even if I thought it was silly.

Anonymous

• Well my mom wanted to be called Grandma but my boys started calling her G-ma and my dad wanted to be called Papaw but they started calling him PaPa. I guess your son will decide in the long end what to call his grandparents.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• if its your first i don't think it will matter. If there are cousins calling them something then they will probably copy them. Otherwise, it may be up to your child. My mom wanted my son to call her GeeGee. I don't know why?? But anyway we tried getting him to say it and it came out nini so we thought it was cute so she is nini
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think it's just something they are doing to get on your nerves. It should be up to the child anyway. I think what they want to be called sounds dumb but on this one, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of an argument. And like a PP wrote, what the kids call grandparents morphs a lot.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010