So tell me what you think of my toe nail....

Ok, so, my son accidentally walked all over my bare feet with his huge heavy tennis shoes and pulled my toe nail all the way off...yes ouch...seriously, OUCH! (This was about 3 days ago)

It was hanging on by the side and cuticle area....so instinctively I pushed it back down and cant bear to touch it!!!

It does not hurt anymore...just feels strange and I am very protective of it...scared someone will pull it the rest of the way off...or that it will get caught on a blanket or something.

So do you think it will fall off by itself or will it survive?

Have you ever had this type of thing happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Health

• More than likely it will fall off. My DH barely hit his with a hammer and his fell off.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It will fall off eventually, but will continue to feel weird for a while yet. I would keep a bandage on it to make sure it doesn't rip off entirely though. After a few days it will not be as sensitive.
    Good luck!
    I just ripped a big peice of my toenail 10 days ago and it feels perfectly normal now.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• my brother did that same thing to my mom all the time. you probably will lose the nail but try to keep the nail on it as long as you can it will help keep it from getting an infection if the nail-bed is covered. I would put a band-aid on it to try to hold it in place.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• yeah, i think it will fall off too. try to keep neosporin on it and a bandaid. my 2yo had a huge blister on his big toe when he was like 4 or 5 months old. when i took him to the er. they popped it and basically all the skin and nail fell off of his big toe. i thought i was gonna puke. it took a while for it to grow back. his grew back deformed.... hope that doesn't happen to you!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010