Can you tell if your baby has spina bifida in an ultrasound?

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I think you can. I remember the ultrasound doc. talking about that when we had our first and testing for it somehow. I think. It's been too long now but I'm pretty sure.

Answer by danielp at 6:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes they can

Answer by EternalDreams at 6:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• yes i asked yesterday @ my appt. and she said yes but not until the baby is a little big bigger

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OP~ thx everyone

• Yes but I had to go to the hospital for a more detailed ultrasound. My husband has spinal bifida, so even if your baby does have it, dont worry. My husband has it and he is in the service. He didnt even know until he signed up and had a physical. They told him. Good luck.

Answer by Sillybillymel at 10:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• yup... i asked about that when i refused the downs/ gene testing... same with cranial openings... they can see if it isnt right.

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes. They can usually tell 12-14 weeks, but it's easier to see by 18-20 weeks.

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes... the technology is amazing these days!