Abnormal pap smear.

I had an abnormal pap I have to have a biopsy what does all this mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Health

• This means that you might have HPV, which does indicate a abnormal pap. They will have to cut a piece of that abnormal cell and see what it means. Which might lead you to have a "LEAP" procedure done.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 6:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It just means some abnormal cells were found. Don't panic. Many of us had that and they can take care of it quickly and easily. It's best when caught early so it doesn't develop into something bad.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Don't sweat it. I just got the results of my biopsy back. Nothing to worry about.

The abnormal pap just means they found cellular differences in your cervix, which could mean absolutely nothing. But to be safe, they want to take a small biopsy and check to ensure that it's not cancerous or precancerous. If they see nothing wrong, you'll have paps done until every 3 to six months until you get 3 normal paps in a row, and then you'll be back on the yearly routine.
    Anonymous

• i thought they were supposed to do another pap when one came back with abnormal cells? you can have abnormal cells if you have sex up to 24 hours before your pap. but yes, a biopsy means they will take a closer look at those cells. try not to worry about it. just wait for the results, chances are good that everything will be fine. deal with anything else as it comes along.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I've had a few of those and yes they do take a sample of the abnormal cells and send them off to be looked at. There are different factors that lead to abnormal cells showing up. I've had a few surgeries and I have had a LEEP, but it is nothing to worry about if it comes to that. Just stay on top of your health so that it doesn't develop into cancer or such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• What's a leep? Thank u all for you're anwsers.
    Anonymous